This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe reader

Downloaded and installed the Adobe reader.

But when I run it, I get the error msg:

/opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading shared libraries: libxml2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

whereis doesn't find anything.

How do I find and install this file?

From this, I found this a layer or two in.

Basically, with a more complete multiarch support now in Debian/Ubuntu, there is no longer a need for a separate package in order to pull in the ia32-libs on 64 bit systems. Unfortunately this does mean that Adobe and others still need to redo their packages/repos and install instructions in order to account for this.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      From this, I found this a layer or two in.

Basically, with a more complete multiarch support now in Debian/Ubuntu, there is no longer a need for a separate package in order to pull in the ia32-libs on 64 bit systems. Unfortunately this does mean that Adobe and others still need to redo their packages/repos and install instructions in order to account for this.
      Thanks - that seems top almost get me there. One problem - the instructions are for Ubuntu and when I execute the command:sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb; sudo apt-get -f install

I get the error message:
      dpkg: error processing AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb (--install):
      cannot access archive: No such file or directory
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb

Maybe the package is in an Ubuntu resoitory and not a Kubuntu repository. How would I access it there?

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
        Thanks - that seems top almost get me there. One problem - the instructions are for Ubuntu and when I execute the command:sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb; sudo apt-get -f install

I get the error message:
        dpkg: error processing AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb (--install):
        cannot access archive: No such file or directory
        Errors were encountered while processing:
        AdbeRdr9.5.5-1_i386linux_enu.deb

Maybe the package is in an Ubuntu resoitory and not a Kubuntu repository. How would I access it there?
        Nope, Kubuntu uses Ubuntu repositories. What happened here is that the terminal window is probably not open to the directory with the deb file. The easiest way to do that is to open Dolphin and go to the folder where it is, then hit your f4 key to open a terminal there, attached to the file manager. Then try again.

Comment

the instructions are assuming you are executing the "dpkg" command from in the same directory that you downloaded the .deb to

VINNY

OOPS @claydoh beet me
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Okay - I followed the second lionk you provided and read more fully down the page and it instructs how to install the needed 32 bit libs. That got it working.

Just for information, the reason I wanted Adobe's reader is that the Kubuntu apps that read/print pdf files don't work on all pdf files, specifically it doesn't work for me on pdf files that are forms with blanks to fill in. It fails badly in trying to proint the resultant form. Tried Adobe reader now and it prints flawlessly.

Comment

Yes, some pdf's seem to work better with Acroread, depending on what was used to create them. It stinks, but I grab it when needed, rarely, as most of mine work with either Okular or Chrome's built-in reader. Okular does well for me with most of the actual forms I need to fill out, but not all. Chrome's pdf viewer works on many forms as well.

Comment

Working...
              X