Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I feel that what I have done will make very little difference. After googling I found this:
    https://developers.google.com/google...lendar/pricing
    If I am allowed 100,000 hits a day on my Google-Calendar, that means that during the 12 hours or so that my computer is on, Korganizer is contacting Google more than 2 times a second!!
    This doesn't seem right. Also once I hit my daily quota as in #1, Thunderbird can still sync with my Calendar. I would have thought that if Korganizer was blocked, so would everything else.
    Strange issue, will keep informed.

Comment

OK. It seems that this problem may now be solved.
      I followed Steve's lead in #11, & unticked "use options from parent folder or account", ticked "synchronize when selecting this folder" & changed the time to 30 minutes.
      In fact I did the same to all the "folder properties" including Contacts & Mail (I left the mail retrieval at 10 minutes though).
      My Computer has now been up for 10 hours, & I have created & deleted many dummy events in Korganiser without any syncing issue at all.
      I will leave it another 24 hours, to make sure & then mark this thread as solved.
      Steve & Woodsmoke, thanks for your input & pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Google says "100,000 queries," without defining what a "query" actually is. A single query could involve multiple HTTP(S) GETs/PUTs, using multiple connections. If Google were actually counting individual connections, or individual GETs/PUTs, then it's entirely reasonable that one tool (Thunderbird) might be more network efficient than another (Akonadi). But network efficiency is a subjective thing. Thunderbird may serialize conversations over reused connections. The tradeoff here is reduced parallelism and slower synchronization. Akonadi may spawn many parallel connections and do more work per unit of time. The tradeoff here is more resource consumption.

A logical experiment would be to create two identical calendars, one in Thunderbird and one in KOrganizer. Sync each one with Google during a period of 24 hours with normal reads, writes, updates, and deletions, all while capturing packets. Then throw the two traces into Wireshark and compare the resulting network behaviors.

Comment

Unbelievable...
          After working perfectly all day yesterday, I switch on my computer at 7.30am, open up Kontact & am greeted with the "Requested resource is forbidden. Google replied 'Daily Limit Exceeded'" message.
          How can this be? This is the 1st time I have used the computer today.
          Back to the drawing board.

Comment

Do you have anything else that syncs from Google -- a phone, a tablet, an abacus?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Do you have anything else that syncs from Google -- a phone, a tablet, an abacus?
              No. Unfortunately my Desktop is the only thing I use & sync with Google.
              Interestingly, I have just come back from work, & my Google Calendar is syncing again, I knew it would after a 10 hour break, but I've noticed that some of the retrieval options i changed to 30 minutes, have defaulted back again to "use options from parent folder or account".
              I think that why the problem differs from Thunderbird, is that the 1st time you open Kontact, the Akonadi Server starts running & stays running & syncing constantly until you either stop it manually or shut the computer down. With Thunderbird however syncing & retrieving data only occurs when Thunderbird is opened, & shuts off when the program is closed.
              I'd like to know if anyone has the same issues with Google Calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker View Post
                the 1st time you open Kontact, the Akonadi Server starts running & stays running & syncing constantly until you either stop it manually or shut the computer down.
                Yes, that is precisely how Akonadi works.

Comment

Yes, that is precisely how Akonadi works.
                  Then it is probably this action that is causing my "daily limit to be exceeded".
                  I have just checked again now & after just 4 hours uptime, without touching my Korganiser calendar, I have hit the limit again & it has stopped syncing.
                  So is Akonadi to blame? Is there a workaround? Or should I just stick with Thunderbird? I have no problem with Thunderbird, but just preferred to use something that was more KDE integrated.

Comment

What's the output of
                    Code:
                    qdbus org.freedesktop.Akonadi
                    I want to see how many resources are running in your configuration.

Comment

What's the output of
                      Code:
                      qdbus org.freedesktop.Akonadi
                      I want to see how many resources are running in your configuration.
                      Code:
                      /PreprocessorManager
                      /ResourceManager
                      /Server
                      /debug
                      /notifications
                      /notifications/debug
                      /subscriber
                      /subscriber/AkonadiAgentServer
                      /subscriber/akonadi_archivemail_agent
                      /subscriber/akonadi_googlecalendar_resource_4
                      /subscriber/akonadi_googlecontacts_resource_2
                      /subscriber/akonadi_imap_resource_5
                      /subscriber/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent
                      /subscriber/akonadi_mailfilter_agent
                      /subscriber/akonadi_nepomuk_feeder
                      /subscriber/akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent
                      /subscriber/akonadi_sendlater_agent
                      /subscriber/korgac
                      /tracing

Comment

Well, at least you don't have a zillion agents all competing for your daily API allotment.

Try this. Change your contacts sync frequency to 1440 minutes (once a day) and your calendar frequency to 120 minutes (every other hour). Make sure you keep "message bodies" forever, so that they don't keep resyncing over and over again. While you're at it, change your email sync frequency to 10 minutes.

Live with this for a few days, see how it works out.

Also, it appears that the KDE PIM developers are aware that Akonadi is hitting Google's daily limits and plan to request that Google increase them.

Comment

Thanks Steve,
                          Have just done that, & will report back after a day or two.

Comment

After 4 days & following Steves advise in #26, I think my issue has been solved.
                            I also unticked the "use options from parent folder or account" in all the "retrieval" tabs on anything using Akonadi.
                            Anyway thanks for all your help, & I will mark this thread as solved.

Comment

Working...
                            X