X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe Reader Broken After Salamander Upgrade

Hello,

I'm having a problem with Adobe reader. Now, before you get started: no, I don't particularly like Adobe reader - among other things, it seems to have serious interface problems. Unfortunately, it's the only reader that will work with certain types of forms; one of which is my son's Eagle Scout worksheet/form. I gotta get this to work.

Ever since the upgrade, the reader won't start. I started Acroread via the terminal and found that a library was missing. Accordingly, I installed the library. Now it's telling me that yet another library is missing. This is the error message:

"error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I've tried reinstalling libgtk with no luck. A lot of things seem to depend on it and I lost an application or two trying to mess with it which, fortunately, I was able to restore. Can anyone tell me how to get Adobe Reader to work without messing up everything else?

FYI: I'm running 64 bit, if that helps.

Have you tried Okular? It's in the repositories, so easily installed. It works with every .pdf form I've had a need for.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Have you tried Okular? It's in the repositories, so easily installed. It works with every .pdf form I've had a need for.
      Yup. Also several others. The forms for the Boy Scouts are configured so that they can only be opened with Adobe Reader.

I also had trouble printing from Okular but Adobe Reader prints fine. Adobe should put more work into it, though - the interface has problems.

Comment

See my post #13

here

Comment

Originally posted by weha View Post
          See my post #13

here
          Checked it out. Did an apt-get on the packages. Copied and pasted the apt-get line from your post:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install libxml2:i386 lib32stdc++6
          This was the message I got back:
          Code:
          lib32stdc++6 is already the newest version.
          libxml2:i386 is already the newest version.
          The error message when starting Reader is still present:
          Code:
          acroread: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have all the replacement ia32-libs packages installed - lib32z1, lib32ncurses5, and lib32bz2-1.0. If there is a problem there, it's probably some legacy package not included in the upgrades for Saucy.

Comment

Do you have the libgtk-x11 package installed, the 32 bit one?

Sent from my dlx using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              I had done a search for the libgtk-x11 package previously and thought I'd try again at your suggestion. I did an apt-cache search for this package and found nothing. Apt-cache install cannot find this package. A search on gtk-x11, came up with a single package: scim-gtk-immodule, which I installed. It made no difference, so I uninstalled it again. Is there another package which includes or is an upgrade to this one?

Comment

Check to see if libgtk2.0-0 and/or libgtk2.0-0 (i386) are installed, as those are the packages that contain libgtk-x11.

Comment

Check to see if libgtk2.0-0 and/or libgtk2.0-0 (i386) are installed, as those are the packages that contain libgtk-x11.
                  Libgtk2.0-0 is installed. I can't find a i386 version:
                  Code:
                  apt-cache search libgtk2.0
                  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-doc - GDK Pixbuf library (documentation)
                  libgtk2.0-0 - GTK+ graphical user interface library
                  libgtk2.0-0-dbg - GTK+ libraries and debugging symbols
                  libgtk2.0-bin - programs for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
                  libgtk2.0-cil - CLI binding for the GTK+ toolkit 2.12
                  libgtk2.0-cil-dev - CLI binding for the GTK+ toolkit 2.12
                  libgtk2.0-common - common files for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
                  libgtk2.0-dev - development files for the GTK+ library
                  libgtk2.0-doc - documentation for the GTK+ graphical user interface library

Comment

Add the Ubuntu 'partner' repository:
                    Code:
                    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $(lsb_release -sc) partner"
                    Update the package cache:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get update
                    Get Adobe Reader from Adobe at:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

Once download is complete, click the Next button on the Adobe site page. This will install Reader 9.5.5 (English) for Linux (.deb).

Comment

Add the Ubuntu 'partner' repository ... Update the package cache ... Get Adobe Reader ... Install
                      I tried adding the repository (copied and pasted the line you gave me). It ran without error - in fact, it ran without any sort of message at all. I then tried running the add-apt-repository with the -s option. On apt-get update, it seemed to find a new repository but nothing updated with either apt-get dist-upgrade or apt-get upgrade. Adobe Reader still fails with the same error.

FYI: Already have Adobe Reader 9.5.5 installed.

And, I'm still getting this from my apt-cache search:
                      Code:
                      apt-cache search libgtk2.0
                      libgdk-pixbuf2.0-doc - GDK Pixbuf library (documentation)
                      libgtk2.0-0 - GTK+ graphical user interface library
                      libgtk2.0-0-dbg - GTK+ libraries and debugging symbols
                      libgtk2.0-bin - programs for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
                      libgtk2.0-cil - CLI binding for the GTK+ toolkit 2.12
                      libgtk2.0-cil-dev - CLI binding for the GTK+ toolkit 2.12
                      libgtk2.0-common - common files for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
                      libgtk2.0-dev - development files for the GTK+ library
                      libgtk2.0-doc - documentation for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
                      Last edited by Shadeclan; Nov 18, 2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadeclan View Post
                        I had done a search for the libgtk-x11 package previously and thought I'd try again at your suggestion. I did an apt-cache search for this package and found nothing. Apt-cache install cannot find this package. A search on gtk-x11, came up with a single package: scim-gtk-immodule, which I installed. It made no difference, so I uninstalled it again. Is there another package which includes or is an upgrade to this one?
                        oops, my bad! how about the package libgtk2.0, which is the one that contains the file acroread can't find: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0?

Code:
                        sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0[B]:i386[/B]
                        My only other suggestion is to uninstall the acroread you have already, then download and install the 32bit acroread package directly from adobe, and install that (just double click the deb file)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          Code:
                          sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0[B]:i386[/B]
                          Hey! That worked! Thanks!

I also installed the "suggested" packages along with this one.

BTW: I did get a warning message:
                          Code:
                           Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "oxygen-gtk"
                          I am using the Oxygen theme in my GTK settings. I'm wondering if I've had this particular problem all along and if it explains the interface problems I've been having.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadeclan View Post
                            Hey! That worked! Thanks!

I also installed the "suggested" packages along with this one.

BTW: I did get a warning message:
                            Code:
                             Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "oxygen-gtk"
                            I am using the Oxygen theme in my GTK settings. I'm wondering if I've had this particular problem all along and if it explains the interface problems I've been having.
                            try this (for your GTK appearance probs) ,,,,, create a file with kate(if it dose not exist) in your /home/you called .gtkrc-2.0 with the contents
                            include "/usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

gtk-theme-name="oxygen-gtk"
                            save and close kate maby log out and in or restart ,,,,,now do your gtk programs look better ?

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              try this (for your GTK appearance probs) ,,,,, create a file with kate(if it dose not exist) in your /home/you called .gtkrc-2.0 with the contents
                              save and close kate maby log out and in or restart ,,,,,now do your gtk programs look better ?

VINNY
                              Sorry I took so long to get back to you.

The file is there. It has the contents you mention along with a few other things. This doesn't appear to be the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X