X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail hangs on "Retrieving folder contents ... please wait"

Good...
    Since I updated to Kubuntu 13.10, KMail worked a few times. I set my Yahoo! account and a local-mail folder with my old messages. KMail is able to read the local-mail folder but it takes a lot - several minutes - to open and display each message. A message "Receiving folder content" appears in the message window. If I double-click the message, a warning: "Wait while the message is being transfered" appears.
    Same thing happens when I try to send or reply a message.

This bug have already been registered in KDE Bugtracking System under the number Bug 321089 since 06/13/2012 but no solution has been reported yet. KMail is unusable!

Thanks.

Kontact version: 4.11.2
    Linux x86_64 release 3.11.0-12

I'm just curious, but use Ctrl+Esc to open up the system monitor, find the kmail listing and right click on it. Choose "send signal" and in that menu select "Interrupt (INT)" and see if it speeds things up.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      I'm just curious, but use Ctrl+Esc to open up the system monitor, find the kmail listing and right click on it. Choose "send signal" and in that menu select "Interrupt (INT)" and see if it speeds things up.
      It just closed KMail. When I restarted, the problem stays...

Comment

I had a similar problem on one occasion. The folder contents would not update and I received a message that the imaps connection was lost.
        I closed Kontact and then stopped and started the AkonadiTray. This restored my connection issue and I was able to retrieve the folder contents.

I read the bug report 321089. I have not disabled nepomuk.

Have you tried stopping and starting the AkonadiTray?
        sigpic

Comment

Was the email account an IMAP account by chance?
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Same problem with the last update from 4.11.2 to 4.11.3 in kubuntu 13.10
            Unusable kmail again?

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
              Was the email account an IMAP account by chance?
              My account is an IMAP account.

vhmoreau and francisco_t, are we talking about IMAP accounts here?
              sigpic

Comment

yes, in my case 2 IMAP accounts

Comment

This is my experience with KMail in saucy.

The KDE Platform is Version 4.11.3
                  KMail version is 4.11.3
                  This is a VirtuaBox guest.

I setup KMail with Yahoo IMAP.
                  My post is here.
                  How to setup KMail with Yahoo IMAP

KMail first opened and said it was in offline mode. This was displayed in KMail.

I clicked the word here and this was displayed.

I see the same behavior above each time I start KMail with a new login session.

Initially, the first time, it took six minutes for the inbox to update. I don't know if this is due to my VirtualBox guest being slow or the new KMail.

Is anyone experiencing the same thing with a hard drive install (not a VirtualBox guest)?

I'm not too concerned here since KMail continues to be functional once it connects. After the initial connection the folders update normally. There is no lag time for folders to update as long as my login session is active and KMail has already connected.
                  Last edited by life0riley; Dec 23, 2013, 07:36 AM. Reason: to clarify that KMail is only slow the first time it connects
                  sigpic

Comment

vhmoreau,

I still have KMail 4.11.3 running on saucy, without any real issues so far, so I don't have any personal experience with the issue you describe.

I stumbled on this 4 page thread in KDE Community Forums. The thread was started May 18, 2013, and the last post was December 22, 2013.
                    KMail hangs forever "retrieving folder contents" HELP!

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your situation but it may be worth reading.
                    sigpic

Comment

A bug with a solution in the comment #4:
                      https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=322958

My problem was in the local-mail resource. I backup the folder .local/share/local-mail/, I delete the folder and the local-mail resource in akonadi too.
                      Now kmail is working again

Comment

Working...
                      X