X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to switch off Hibernation

Hi,

Since a few versions of the OS it is impossible for me to switch off my desktop computer like I was used to do: press the red button in the pop-up menu which appears in the center of the screen when you select the red button in the KDE menu. I now always have to click on the tiny arrow just next to the big red button. If not, the computer will go into hibernation, something I don't want.
    I see several threads here on how to switch on hibernation, but how do I switch it off? It's just there after installing the OS, I did not switch it on somehow, and I don't want it.
    How I can use the red button again to switch of my computer completely?

It's a shame this forum is not so well used as others. I have 14 viewers at the moment and no replies at all. But happily I found the solution. I can now switch off the computer with just one mouse-click. Dangerous? Could be, but I don't do dangerous stuff so even when a program is shut off while still holding unsaved data there is no harm done.
    What did I do? Just in case others are also searching for this.
    In System Settings > Power Management I did not change anything.
    In Startup and Shutdown however I did make a change:
    Tab Session Management: I unticked "Confirm logout". After clicking the red "Shutdown" button on my desktop the computer goes off completely in a few seconds. I added the red button through "Add widgets".
    This button has some more options like Sleep, Hibernation, Leave and Lock but these I don't use. It is a shame though that Restart is not one of them, so I have to use the Kickoff menu to choose the yellow Restart button. But then again, how often do we need to restart the computer? We don't use Windows where every time Bill Gates needs to fart, the whole world has to reboot.

I will mark this thread as solved. Thanks for watching.

Comment

If you still care the file you were looking for is :

/var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla

Look for:
      Code:
      [Disable hibernate by default in upower]
      Identity=unix-user:*
      Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate
      ResultActive=no

[Disable hibernate by default in logind]
      Identity=unix-user:*
      Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate
      ResultActive=no
      near the end and change yes to no or vis-versa.

If you try this, let me know if this works. I'm curious.

Please Read Me

Comment

I wonder: how did you find this file? How do you know these things?
        As I wrote earlier I did find a satisfying solution already so I hesitate to change this file. Sorry.
        Thanks for your answer though.

Comment

A web search eventually brought the above example forward. It was a very old post so the file didn't match the current one so I dug about for a couple minutes on my system and found the above. I don't use hibernation and I don't really have any need for it, but I was curious if the solution was still valid. That's why I asked for feedback.

IMO, even if the OP abandons a particular issue it still might be helpful to others to offer solutions so I went ahead and posted, even though you yourself no longer cared.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X