X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 13.04: Update for kscreen won't update

Hello all,

I am running Kubuntu 13.04 and today I noticed an update for kscreen (via Muon Updater). When trying to update, it asks me to also update libkscreen1, to which I say OK. Then, I am back at Muon with no packages checked. If I manually check kscreen, it asks me to install libkscreen1 and remove libkscreen0, which I again say OK. Even after this, the Install Updates button is grayed out.

Doing a sudo apt-get upgrade, I get this:

The following packages have been kept back:
    kscreen
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

What does that mean?

Try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Try
      Code:
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      This method does not work either. In fact, I think the dependency issue with kscreen is causing my attempted upgrade to Saucy from Raring (via kubuntu-devel-release-upgrade) to fail with "Error: Cannot calculate upgrade" after changing my sources.list entries to Saucy. Kind of a pain. So I'm attempting to do a sudo apt-get upgrade using the Saucy PPA entries, and will try the dist-upgrade after the issue is solved.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Hmm... remember that upgrade won't upgrade a package whose dependencies have changed; that's why I suggested dist-upgrade. BTW, do-release-upgrade uses the dist-upgrade mechanism too.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Hmm... remember that upgrade won't upgrade a package whose dependencies have changed; that's why I suggested dist-upgrade. BTW, do-release-upgrade uses the dist-upgrade mechanism too.
          After the sudo apt-get upgrade, and upon trying the dist-upgrade, I get this:

Code:
          james@james-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree       
          Reading state information... Done
          Calculating upgrade... Failed
          The following packages have unmet dependencies:
           plasma-widgets-addons : Breaks: plasma-runners-addons (< 4:4.10.80) but 4:4.10.5-0ubuntu0.1 is to be installed
          E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
          So my KScreen error seems to have subsided but an issue remains that is stopping me from proceeding with the upgrade.
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

removing plasma-runners-addons and proceeding. Keeping fingers crossed.
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I just removed --purged kscreen and then reinstalled it. It automatically found a new dependency, libkscreen1 instead of libkscreen0 I think. Perhaps my plasma-runners-addons were removed in an earlier update, but it was just to reinstall them.

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                ... I think the dependency issue with kscreen is causing my attempted upgrade to Saucy from Raring
                I don't think so, I hit the same glitch and I haven't done anything like that. I tried apt-get dist-upgrade and said 1 package held back due to 1 unmet dependency, and since AFAIK I don't use kscreen I left it at that.

Regards, John Little
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Well I uninstalled KScreen and forced a dist-upgrade. Everything went fine. The only issue I have is that desktop effects are not working, although the ATI proprietary drivers are loaded and working. I'll start a separate thread for that one.
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I got fed up with Muon updater asking to mark packages for update, then failing to update them. apt-get was less fussy, just said
                    Code:
                    The following packages have been kept back:
                      kscreen
                    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
                    so I fired up aptitude for the first time in several years. It sorted the problem:
                    Code:
                    Preparing to replace kscreen 0.0.92-0ubuntu0.2 (using .../kscreen_1.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.04.1_amd64.deb) ...
                    Unpacking replacement kscreen ...
                    [I]<snip>[/I]
                    Removing libkscreen0 ...
                    [I]<snip>[/I]
                    Unpacking libkscreen1 (from .../libkscreen1_1.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.04.1_amd64.deb) ...
                    Setting up libkscreen1 (1.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.04.1) ...
                    Setting up kscreen (1.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.04.1) ...
                    :cool:

Regards, John Little
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

I believe this is a bug in apt itself, however you can workaround this using apt :

sudo apt-get install kscreen

Please also test KScreen 1.0.1 and comment on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1208413 if everything works for you

Comment

Originally posted by shadeslayer View Post
                        I believe this is a bug in apt itself, however you can workaround this using apt :

sudo apt-get install kscreen

Please also test KScreen 1.0.1 and comment on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...n/+bug/1208413 if everything works for you
                        I had the exact same problem and solved it with this.

Comment

Working...
                        X