X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu, LibreOffice, Windows file server [Samba share] and locking files

Hi

We are using Windows files server for sharing disks. I have problem that when someone have opened lets say docx files from this share with Microsoft Office and I open the very same file with LibreOffice using Kubuntu - it won't show me that the file is locked. I can change the file and save it. After that I get message to upload file to file server and then I get an error - can not write. This the first time I can guess, that someone is already using this file. Also when I am opened this file before, then other people opening this file from Microsoft office won't get any message that it is locked.

Why am I seeing this behavior and is there any way to fix it? It is causing a lot of problem and missing information.

Thanks!

Hi
    I have commented on this multiple times and, for some really STRANGE reasone, it is always dismissed.

And eeeeekkkkktuallly..... I commented on it about....TEN YEARS ago....and was dismissed.

As an ASIDE:....I "think" that is all it is I "think" that this is part of the GRAND DEAL that was made decades ago in the OH SO (L#b#r#l)....courtcase about "breaking up the great Microsith"...

And now...nobody seems to turn a hair...not a single hair....

If one remembers history...Microsith tried to "patent" ...".dos" file extension in Europe and was SOUNDLY TROUNCED......

So......

Do not believe me.

Believe your own eyes.

Make "a file" with some kind of name(notice the homage to the "sophisticated Linuxy way of doing things"........

Copy the file so that you have two IDENTICAL FILES but add the letter "a" to the name.

Such as:

woodsmoke..doc
    woodsmokea.doc

Now this get tedious and seems complicated but actually it is not.

make TWO OTHER COPIES..... and lable them:

woodsmokeb.doc
    woodsmokec.docx

Now comes the "tricky part"....

You posted a relatively good summation of what is going on with your system...but as you very well know, what I perceive your system to be is not necessarily what you perceive your system to be.

The only real way to "get us all on the same page" is to do some kind of command line thing and I have no clue about that since I am just a hardware and software kinda guy.

BUT.......

Here is the "historical" thing that I discovered a decade ago and that nobody want, seems to want, to address.

Microsith places..."MY TERM".... a "wrapper" around the file......

The file, WHEN you try to access/interact with it...in the latest greatest system has a "wrapper" placed "around" it.

I see this as a matter of course whereat I teach.

If I make a "Powerpoint(tm)" in OO and save it as .ppt OR NOW.....

NOW.....does ANYBODY LISTEN......NOW...

Microsith "opens the file"...

BUT....

One sees a BLACK SHEET INSIDE THE FOLDER...

And then one gets an "warning" that

"This file is corrupted.... and several of the slides have been REPLACED(my caps) with blank slides."

NOT TRUE.............>>>NOT TRUE......

I can take the same "corrupted" and LARGER file to my Linux computer and the file opens normally.

Microsith places some kind of "html" thing onto the file that "places a white "thing" IN FRONT OF....some random number of slides.

If one right clicks on the file and "views source" one will see that there are indeed, "probably" three folders and the "white thing" is in one of the folders.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

What I, personally do, is make my "Presentations" in first Calligra....then expand them in LibreOffice....

Then save as .docx and.....

LOCK THEM.....

before they ever become involved with a Microsith product of ANY kind...

That means....right click on the file....and change the permissions to where NOBODY can do ANYthing to the file.......

except the owner.

GUESS WHAT HAPPENS....

When the colleges Microsith 7 not 8 STARTS.................

STARTS.....to open the file...

the dreaded "black sheet" is exposed in the file folder or on the file itself and then...

"ooopsy....."

It opens it with a "warning" and then....just opens it....

So......

YOU SHOULD LOCK the "c" and "d" files

Send all of the abover iterations of "a file" through "your system" and then try to "open them on the other end" and observe what happens...

Then open them and "interact" with them in some "trivial way"....like changing some text or something....

What I...............PERSONALLY THINK...

is that you will see some kind of "warning" and "somthing gone" in the files which you have not locked...

BUT....should have seen some kind of warning but it went ahead and displayed them for the files you locked.

AND THEN CHECK the file "sizes" a right click in properties....and the "problem files" will be larger and if you "right click and view source" you will see an "extra" "xml" folder.

Now particularly WHAT is in the folder can actually be OBSERVED....the problem is that it is in some kind of "html" of which I am not aware...

So the "trick" is to....LOCK THE FILES before sending them anywhere.

CAVEAT

APPARENTLY this does not happen, as far as I have seen with the "simple".... ( . doc ) AS IN A DOCUMENT... file extension.

if you so wish...

post back about your results.

woodjustahardwaresoftwarekindaguysmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Jun 26, 2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X