This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Changing Itself

My Kubuntu 13.04 and 13.10 constantly changes itself to UTC time. I have changed every setting I can find to Central Time Chicago including the bios but they all change back. Within a few hours it will change back. If I reboot it changes to UTC. This does not effect the Windows Vista dual booted on this computer. Choqok will not update timeline because of this. Any help would be wonderful.

For some reason Kubuntu thinks Central Time is the same as UTC time.
    System76 Kudu Professional 17.3 Laptop 8Gig Memory Kubuntu 14.04

The clock issue is most likely this:
    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...s-create-a-fix

The "quick fix" should be to reconfigure the tzdata package:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
    And set the correct timezone when asked.

Comment

I tried that and so far can't tell any change may not know for an hr or so. Settings were correct in tzdata

Comment

It may be that your hardware clock is set to UTC and not local time. If your system time is correct (right timezone and time), you can set your hardware clock from system time. Open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo hwclock --systohc
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jwhibdon View Post
          I tried that and so far can't tell any change may not know for an hr or so. Settings were correct in tzdata
          Could you run the following, and post the outputs here:
          Code:
          cat /etc/localtime
          Code:
          ls -l /etc/localtime

Comment

I ran the two above here is the results
            pre@pre-GA-990FXA-UD5:~$ cat /etc/localtime
            cat: /etc/localtime: No such file or directory
            pre@pre-GA-990FXA-UD5:~$ ls -l /etc/localtime
            lrwxrwxrwx 2 root root 13 May 31 16:46 /etc/localtime -> ../US/Central
            pre@pre-GA-990FXA-UD5:~$

Comment

I am going to assume something is still wrong because Choqok still will not update timeline and that happens if the clock is wrong.

Comment

I ran the two above here is the results
                cat: /etc/localtime: No such file or directory
                lrwxrwxrwx 2 root root 13 May 31 16:46 /etc/localtime -> ../US/Central
                Yes, /etc/localtime is still a broken link in your machine, although reconfiguring tzdata should have fixed that.

I'd recommend trying sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata again, and check that /etc/localtime is not a link anymore (by running the two commands again). Then reboot without touching kde's time settings (I suspect the kde systemsetting time module causes the broken link bug).

Comment

I am going to assume something is still wrong because Choqok still will not update timeline and that happens if the clock is wrong.

That's a separate issue as Choqok's not working is due to a broken API which will be fixed very soon.
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                    Yes, /etc/localtime is still a broken link in your machine, although reconfiguring tzdata should have fixed that.
                    I'd recommend choosing US/Central instead of America/Chicago when reconfiguring, This should work around the issue with kde's time settings module.

Comment

I ran this agin over agin and this is the result. Time changed to 03:29 the instant I ran the tzdata. Rebooting now I did selected US/Central this time.

pre@pre-GA-990FXA-UD5:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
                      [sudo] password for pre:

Current default time zone: 'US/Central'
                      Local time is now: Tue Jun 18 03:26:06 CDT 2013.
                      Universal Time is now: Tue Jun 18 08:26:06 UTC 2013.

TZif2���,����p������p��t�����EҀ�c���S���p�3������� �ޕ�����w���a��Y���C�~;���_��gXp�|A��G�\#��'p�<���p���p����p���������������Z��<p��O���dn �/f��M���H��-l�N���Gpˈ���#�p�a ��u��@���U�� ���5����������������s��ޗ�ݩ�p޾y�߉rp��[��iTp�~=��I6p�^��W<��G<�7��'��������������������p� ������p����p�o���_�p�O���?ip�/h��(���J���w�q��I���I��+���+��
                      pa
                      �P�p@��0�p�'� �p ��
                      ��p

�u�������t��tyV�iVY8�I89▒�)▒▒"7�▒p▒�▒��p�����p�܀�� p v!��p"U�#j��$5�%J��&�'*��'�р)
                      p���q5�ro��s�tO��t���v8�pv�πx▒�px���y�hpz���{�Jp|~ u�}�,p~^W��p���������������^d�_�\�`Ma�ypb-��cg[pd��EDQpE��G-m�GәI
                      ��������CDTCSTESTCWTCPTTZif2�▒����^��������,������ ��p��������������p������t�������������EҀ�����c���� ���S�������p�����3��������������������ޕ����������� ��w�������a������Y�������C�����~;�������_������gXp �����|A������G�����\#������'pN�������Gp����ˈ�������#�p�����a���� ���u������@�������U������ �������5������������������������������������s����� �ޗ�����ݩ�p����޾y�����߉rp������[������iTp�����~=������I6p�����^������W<������G<��� ��7������'���������������������������������������� ��������p���������������p������������p�����o������ �_�p�����O���������w�q���/h������(�������J�����g�������g������I�������I����� �+�������+������
                      pa
                      �P�p@��0�p�'� �p ��
                      ��p

�u�������t��tyV�iVY8�I89▒�)▒▒"7�▒p▒�▒��p�����p�܀�� p v!��p"U�#j��$5�%J��&�'*��'�р)
                      p���q5�ro��s�tO��t���v8�pv�πx▒�px���y�hpz���{�Jp|~ u�}�,p~^W��p���������������^d�_�\�`Ma�ypb-��cg[pd��EDQpE��G-m�GәI
                      �����������LMTCDTCSTESTCWTCPT
                      CST6CDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
                      -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3559 Jun 18 03:26 /etc/localtime

Comment

I did everything suggested and after rebooting the clock is showing the correct time. Hopefully it is fixed. Thanks for you help!!! If it is still working tomorrow I will try to figure out how to mark this solved.

Comment

I did everything suggested and after rebooting the clock is showing the correct time. Hopefully it is fixed
                          You should be good now, don't worry about the weird output from cat, the tz files are not plain text, so they look weird when printed out.

If it is still working tomorrow I will try to figure out how to mark this solved.
                          You can do this by editing your first post in advanced mode, and changing the prefix-dropdown to solved...once you've confirmed it's fixed, of course.

EDIT: Scratch that. Instead click "Thread tools" > "Mark this thread as solved"
                          Last edited by kubicle; Jun 19, 2013, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X