This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customize update process

Can I set to the updater check software updates at every day, but the system and security updates only every month?

It drives me crazy the "Restart needed" icon. I have to restart more times than under Windows.
    Kernel update, dbus update... I don't want to restart so many times, but I want my softwares up-to-date. That's the reason why I don't use LTS. I don't want obsolete softwares, but more than enough update my system components once per month. My computer is not a critical system so I don't afraid of exploits. In case of some bug, crash or anything I will check for update manually.

If a security vulnerability is fixed, you'll certainly want to install the update right away. If that fixed vulnerability was in something that can't be replaced on-the-fly, such as the kernel, then a reboot is required. Contemporary exploits are more powerful than you might expect.

Comment

But every time? Not just kernel. I got 4 dbus update today and the "Restart needed" icon shows up. Previously I got new Nvidia driver, which didn't ask for reboot, but when I wanted to watch video with VDPAU it was only sound, no picture until I restart.

Can I apply these changes with a simple log off/log in? Or using some command under TTY when I logged off from KDE? Even that would be better than restart the entire computer.

Comment

It's sufficient to restart X after updating the nVidia driver.

D-Bus isn't designed to support on-the-fly restarts of the system bus. See http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.com...top.dbus/15047.
        Last edited by SteveRiley; Jun 14, 2013, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X