This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon Package Manager: Save Packages?

Hi all, I installed kubuntu 13.04 and i'm using muon package manager, it seems excellent but I have a question: how I can save the downloaded packages? Because I realized that the manager has options to save the package list in plain text but not the packages themselves. Thanks.

Installed packages are downloaded before installation. Until you opt to remove them, they remain on your PC in /var/cache/apt/archives and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial

Welcome to KFN!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Is there a practical reason to keep all those packages? I just reinstalled 13.04 last night and added a handful of packages last night and this morning and there is already 632 MB of packages. Also, if it isn't necessary to keep these packages onhand, is there a setting in Muon or elsewhere to automatically remove them after they have installed? I don't ask because I have a shortage of disk space, which I don't, but I have been short of space in past . Thanks

edit: I found the answer thanks to an old post of kubicle's from 2007.

By default, downloaded/installed packages are kept cached locally. You can, for example, download packages without installing, and install them later from the cache...or use the cached packages to install on other machines in the network without downloading etc.

These can take a bit of room, so if you wish to remove them, you can use 'sudo apt-get clean' and 'sudo apt-get autoclean' commands (autoclean removes redundant packages, clean removes all cached packages).
      Last edited by notabug; Jun 03, 2013, 09:41 AM. Reason: added info
      Linux User #454271

Comment

Working...
      X