This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HPLIP is not working.

Hplip is not working on 13.04 (although it still works on 12.10).

From it's diagnostics:
    Code:
    error: ubuntu-13.04 version is not supported.
    Newer version from sf.net brings up the same error. Older hplip versions bringed up the same error as well.

Did the developers pushed an unsupported version on repositories?
    Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
    nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
    eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

No, I am using hplip on 13.04 right now as a matter of fact. Running the command hp-check foes say that 13.04 is unsupported, but I have used it to set up and use my wireless printer with no issues. What problems are you having?

Comment

It can see my printer (a color inkjet hp deskjet 1000 j100, USB connected) but when I'm printing something, brings up the messages "print started" and "print completed", but nothing actually happens.
      At 12.10 still works flawlessly.

Strange! Seems like it is working at some systems, but not fully supported at the moment.
      I suppose that will be released 13.04 compatible versions, some time at the future.
      Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7

Comment

I'm using 12.10 and hplip is working fine. However if I run hp-check I get this message

Code:
        warning: ubuntu-12.10 version is not supported. Using ubuntu-12.04 versions dependencies to verify and install...
        there are also a host of missing dependencies listed, but as I say eveything seems to work ok.

Comment

Strange. Anyway! This is not the case here.
          In 12.10 I never got this message and I was even able to install the latest versions from sf.net (not really needed. Just out of couriosity).

I'm thinking to skip 13.04 and wait for 13.10.

Comment

So what is the state of things? HP Printer does or doesn't work with 13.04?

Because I was hoping to put 13.04 on my other computers that deal with HP printers/scanners as 13.04 is way better than 12.04&12.10 experience and performance wise.

Comment

I think it is the hplip driver versions, perhaps? I have used this wireless printer now using 3 different Kubuntu versions with no problem. One does not need the hplip GUI to print, but perhaps setting up the printer using it might work. Perhaps going through the printer settings and selecting a different driver (if available for the model) might help?

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post
                So what is the state of things? HP Printer does or doesn't work with 13.04?
                Depends!
                I think, I'm the only one here, who hplip refused to work.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                I think it is the hplip driver versions, perhaps? I have used this wireless printer now using 3 different Kubuntu versions with no problem. One does not need the hplip GUI to print, but perhaps setting up the printer using it might work. Perhaps going through the printer settings and selecting a different driver (if available for the model) might help?
                I can't see any other driver version and I couldn't install versions from sf.net. The installer is giving me the mentioned error and then quits.

I filled also a ticket at hplip support at launchpad (before 3-4 days), but noone replied so far.

I think I'll return to 12.10 and I'll check again after a month if the problem has been fixed.

Comment

Keep us posted Because my whole family is looking forward to the being updated to 13.04 and this is the only problem that would stop the show.

Comment

I didn't meant to spread fud about 13.04.

I think different printer models behave differently, even under the same driver version.
                    My personal opinion is, why not taking an image of your partition (eg. with clonezilla), then give 13.04 a try and if all the hell get loose, you only have to restore the previous image of 12.10.
                    I think it's the only way to be sure how hplip is working at your system.

PS. Debian is releasing the next version at 4 or 5 of May and I'll give it a try as well.

PS2. My best wishes for all. Have a nice month!!! :cool:

Comment

I checked the HPLIP that Kubuntu installs from its default repo and it is v3.13.3

While the latest one on HP's site is v3.13.4. On their Driver Download page they only show Ubuntu up to 12.10.

Seems like some people need to update things both on HPLIP side and Kubuntu side.

Comment

Even the HPLIP software under settings sees there is an update to the newer 3.13.4...

Comment

Another user said that uninstalling the hplip-gui, solved his problem.

I think hplip-gui isn't secessary, since you can access cups settings through the browser (http://localhost:631/), so I uninstalled it too.

This didn't solved the problem. Just changed the error message to "warning: HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is not supported for ubuntu distro 13.04 version".

EDIT:

Bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1177864

EDIT 2:

New HPLIP version (from SF.NET) works like a dream here!
                          Last edited by Achaean; May 14, 2013, 10:35 AM.

Comment

What is the correct way to get the new version?

ps. I found these instructions but should we wait for an update in the official Ubuntu repos or is this one of those things the users will have to take care of for themselves?

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...all/index.html
                            Last edited by wrender; May 20, 2013, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Yes indeed!
                              These are the correct instructions for installing the last SF.NET version.

But before trying it, does the version from repositories working for you?
                              If the repository version is at working state, I think there's no need to try the SF.NET version.

Comment

Working...
                              X