This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok will not play from a Samba nettwork server

I put all my mp3's and flac files on a media-server. I try to play this music with Amarok on my laptop. I can find the music on the samba server on the network, but Amarok will not play the files.

" Strøm (smb://per-mediaserver/LaCie/Musikk/Beatles/Mp3/01%20Please%20Please%20Me/13%20-%20There's%20A%20Place.mp3)"

Strøm=stream

Amarok tell me that this is "unknown"

sigpic
    Pider
    Kubuntu 16.10
    Multicom Talisa

Have you checked the permissions of the files and directories on the samba server to make sure that you're laptop is allowed access? I have found that this is usually a good place to start troubleshooting. I start off by setting my samba file/directory permissions to 777 to take permissions out of the equation when troubleshooting a share, then once I have everything working I back the permissions down to where I want them.

If everything is ok with permissions, the other thought that you might try is mounting the samba share on your laptop directly with a mount command and then accessing the mounted share with Amarok. It seems that I remember having an issue in recent versions of Amarok with using shares directly referenced by an smb:// statement.

Hopefully one of these suggestions will help your issue.

cheers,
    Bill
    sigpic
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

you can not stream over samba. you must mount the share first to your local file system.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
        you can not stream over samba. you must mount the share first to your local file system.
        This is not true, you can stream over samba I have done it many times and still do (mostly for movies though).

There was an issue with kde and streaming over samba in kubuntu, but I thought that was fixed.

I will test amarok out in a bit to see if I can replicate this.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
          This is not true, you can stream over samba I have done it many times and still do (mostly for movies though).
          VLC supports playback of smb via a stream. dragon player (and amarok) seam like they want to but then you get a Qapt dialog asking to search for a smb protocall support plugin. if i try to open a file stored on a smb share (that is not mounted) with any other program it not stream it will instead make a local copy (/var/tmp/kdecache) and then open the local copy.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I suspect you can get them to stream if you install Smb4k. I find that little utility to be the handiest of tools for making my Kubuntu machines talk to my ancient HP 470 Windows Home Server.

Comment

Working...
            X