This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setup pdf printer driver

Hello everybody, I am a new user of this forum, using Kubuntu 12.10.

In order to print documents into pdf-files I installed cups-pdf.
    Furthermore I installed a virtual pdf printer in the printer settings.
    The problem is that the pdf-printer driver ignore the settings of the /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf file.

How to setup the directory, where the pdf-files are send to?

How to setup the name of the pdf-file, i.e. how to setup a fixed name for the produced pdf-file like document.pdf?

Cheers,
    Siegfried

Curious you needed(?) to install anything at all, normally KDE delivers printing to pdf or ps out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      Curious you needed(?) to install anything at all, normally KDE delivers printing to pdf or ps out of the box.
      Many apps don't support native pdf printing so a person is forced to resort to cups-pdf.

The best way to configure cups-pdf is with http://localhost:631/ and then fine tuning stuff with a text editor. Usually look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...irtual_printer for some great tips.

By the way you need to restart cups for settings to take effect.

Comment

Hummm this is a strange one to me ,,,, I have never ,never had a problem printing to .pdf in kubuntu as far back as 10.04 or earlier even ,,,,,,,even when there has been no printer installed or configured ,,,,,,I would just select print>print to file>and check the .pdf radio button and then print ??

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

If the question is how to point the cups-pdf printer at a particular location, the answer is in /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf somewhere near line 43:

Code:
          [B]Out ${HOME}/PDF[/B]
          Edit this to any location you have permission to write to.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            Hummm this is a strange one to me ,,,, I have never ,never had a problem printing to .pdf in kubuntu as far back as 10.04 or earlier even ,,,,,,,even when there has been no printer installed or configured ,,,,,,I would just select print>print to file>and check the .pdf radio button and then print ??

VINNY
            Agreed, most KDE and Gnome apps support printing to PDF but some more esoteric applications do not. A great example is Windows applications through Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
              Agreed, most KDE and Gnome apps support printing to PDF but some more esoteric applications do not. A great example is Windows applications through Wine.
              Exactly, this is the reason: not all programs support print to file.

The setting "Out ${HOME}/PDF" in file /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf is ignored.
              All output goes without an extension to /var/spool/cups.

Also I have tried (several times) to configure cups-pdf is with http://localhost:631/
              and used the hints from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...irtual_printer.
              No success: all output still goes to /var/spool/cups.

Since I would like to use the program "printruler", the pdf files should at least have
              an extension ".pdf". Currently they have no extension at all.

It seems that the cups-pdf packet has some problems with the
              creating of pdf files, because it ignores the /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf file
              and therefore can't be set up in any way.

Cheers,
              Siegfried

Comment

Did you restart cups after making settings changes?

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                  Did you restart cups after making settings changes?
                  Yes, I tried many times including a reboot each time.

There is also another problem: In order to change the virtual printer settings,
                  you need to delete the old printer and add a new printer.
                  Once the old printer is deleted, the item "virtual pdf-printer" is
                  not listed anymore, when you want to add a new printer.
                  You need to deinstall cups-pdf and reinstall it,
                  in order to get the item "virtual pdf-printer" listed at the
                  printer list again. This is annoying, but can be handled.

The main problem is, how to configure cups-pdf without
                  the conf-file.

Comment

Sorry, I should have read your first post better. I've always used cups to manage my printers and have never had to configure a virtual-cups printer using the System Settings. Maybe, since you did both the settings are somehow messed up?

Is there anything in /var/log/cups/cups-pdf_log ?

Basically, all I've ever had to do is:
                    1. install cups-pdf
                    2. open localhost:631 with any browser
                    3. set cups-pdf as a printer
                    4. done

this has worked perfectly every time since 9.04.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      Is there anything in /var/log/cups/cups-pdf_log ?

Basically, all I've ever had to do is:
                      1. install cups-pdf
                      2. open localhost:631 with any browser
                      3. set cups-pdf as a printer
                      4. done
                      The printer was installed exactly like you did,
                      Virtual PDF Printer ist just the description of the system for the new pdf printer.

After looking at /var/log/cups/cups-pdf_log I found:
                      >>
                      Thu Jan 24 17:11:31 2013 [STATUS] directory created (/var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL)
                      Thu Jan 24 17:11:31 2013 [STATUS] spool directory created (/var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL)
                      Thu Jan 24 17:11:31 2013 [STATUS] identification string sent
                      Thu Jan 24 17:14:20 2013 [STATUS] ***Experimental Option: DecodeHexStrings
                      Thu Jan 24 17:14:20 2013 [ERROR] failed to set file mode for PDF file (non fatal) (/home/user/PDF/_Zeitnachweis1__ps-pdf_log.pdf)
                      <<

After changing the rights of /home/user/PDF and creating /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL
                      and /var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL manually, finally the pdf file is correctly
                      created in /home/user/PDF.

Thank you for mentioning the path to the log file.

Cheers,
                      Siegfried

Comment

Originally posted by Siegfried View Post
                        After looking at /var/log/cups/cups-pdf_log I found:
                        >>
                        Thu Jan 24 17:11:31 2013 [STATUS] directory created (/var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL)
                        Thu Jan 24 17:11:31 2013 [STATUS] spool directory created (/var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL)
                        Thu Jan 24 17:11:31 2013 [STATUS] identification string sent
                        Thu Jan 24 17:14:20 2013 [STATUS] ***Experimental Option: DecodeHexStrings
                        Thu Jan 24 17:14:20 2013 [ERROR] failed to set file mode for PDF file (non fatal) (/home/user/PDF/_Zeitnachweis1__ps-pdf_log.pdf)
                        <<
                        Sorry, mist the following:
                        Fri Jan 25 09:23:33 2013 [ERROR] failed to create directory (/var/spool/cups-pdf)
                        Fri Jan 25 09:23:33 2013 [ERROR] failed to create spool directory (/var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL)

Comment

Working...
                        X