This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't log in to GUI

Suddenly I can no longer log in to the GUI, instead I am dropped to a level 1 login prompt.

If I login and then type startx I get the Following error message :-

Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 304.48 but the NVIDIA driver has version 295.40. Please make sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version.

I think I understand the problem, I either need a kernel with NVIDIA module version 295.40 or I need an NVIDIA driver module version 304.48. I don't know how this happened and unfortunately I don't know how to achieve either of these, especially without a GUI.

Can anyone help please?

I'd make sure you have dkms installed, then try reinstalling the nvidia driver. There are a few versions of the nvidia drivers. I have 304.48 here:

ronw@gazp6:~$ aptitude search ~invidia-
    i nvidia-experimental-304 - Experimental NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU li
    i A nvidia-settings - Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

Comment

First make sure your system if fully up to date and there are no missing packages:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      sudo apt-get install -f
      sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Comment

Thanks guys, I managed to get it working by removing the existing nvidia stuff and then re-installing nvidia-current-updates.

Comment

Working...
        X