This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oracle java in kubuntu 12.10

Sorry if it has been answered before (I searched on the forum but didn't get any result ) , is there any way to install Oracle Java in kubuntu 12.10 besides downloading the package from oracle? (I've found some instructions using ppa:webupd8team/java repository but it doesn't work, the script fails to download the package from oracle site.

Thanks!

--
    Toshiro
    http://www.perlhowto.com

If the script in the ppa isn't working, contact the maintainers of that ppa. They have the following link on the ppa page:

For questions and bugs with software in this PPA please contact WebUpd8
    Other than that, you'd have to download directly from Oracle.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by toshiro View Post
      is there any way to install Oracle Java in kubuntu 12.10 besides downloading the package from oracle?
      It is against oracles new terms and conditions to distribute java which is why there are no simple solutions to installing it... I recommend using the openjdk version, 99% of the time there is no difference except you don't have to follow oracles insane licencing.

Comment

I just follow the instruction on oracle's site and unzip to my home folder. No problems unless you want it in Firefox and have apparmor enabled. I keep the plugin disabled in Opera and only activate it when needed eg. for interactive stock charts. LibreOffice needs it for some functions as well.

1. Download the file. Before the file can be downloaded, you must accept the license agreement. The archive binary can be installed by anyone (not only root users), in any location that you can write to. However, only the root user can install the JRE into the system location.

2. Change directory to the location where you would like the JRE to be installed. Move the .tar.gz archive binary to the current directory.

3. Unpack the tarball and install the JRE.
        tar zxvf jre-7u9-linux-x64.tar.gz

The JRE files are installed in a directory called jre1.7.0_<version> in the current directory.

4. Delete the .tar.gz file if you want to save disk space.

sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/home/user/java/jre1.7.0_09/bin/java" 1

sudo update-alternatives --set java /home/user/java/jre1.7.0_09/bin/java

java -version (check)

sudo update-alternatives --config java

If you need to remove an older version ...

sudo update-alternatives --remove /home/user/java/jre1.7.0_07/bin/java
        Last edited by weha; Dec 03, 2012, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
          It is against oracles new terms and conditions to distribute java which is why there are no simple solutions to installing it... I recommend using the openjdk version, 99% of the time there is no difference except you don't have to follow oracles insane licencing.
          Well, I need it to run Aptana ... I had lots of issues in the past when I've tried to use openjdk with Aptana, so I think some difference between both packages exist. Probably I will have to install oracle java manually

Comment

Originally posted by toshiro View Post
            Well, I need it to run Aptana ... I had lots of issues in the past when I've tried to use openjdk with Aptana, so I think some difference between both packages exist. Probably I will have to install oracle java manually
            I suggest you try it, it have been improving quite allot of late so it might work now.

Comment

Working...
            X