X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

App for Streaming/Playing videos in torrent files

Hi Guys,

I need an application that can stream/play videos from torrent files while downloading, something utorrent/Bittorrent does in windows. Tried many torrent clients for linux but didn't find this functionality.

Please help me.

KTorrent has that and it's already in Kubuntu. Have you tried that?
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
      KTorrent has that and it's already in Kubuntu. Have you tried that?
      Ktorrent plays videos only after the video is 100% downloaded. I am looking for some app that can play/stream video while the video is still downloading.... Something the latest version of utorrent in windows... Check this http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-add...upport-091217/

Comment

use utorrent through wine maybe

Comment

Originally posted by prince View Post
          Ktorrent plays videos only after the video is 100% downloaded. I am looking for some app that can play/stream video while the video is still downloading.... Something the latest version of utorrent in windows... Check this http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-add...upport-091217/
          Hmm, on my system, Ktorrent's media player plugin is quite happy to begin playing a video file long before it has downloaded 100% of the file.

I just tested it out, and the best I got was being able to begin playback after about 5% of the file had been downloaded. I started the torrent download, then in the media player plugin added the video file to the playlist, and when it looked like a reasonable amount of data from the beginning of the file had downloaded I clicked 'play', and it played.

(Edit) I've read that it's important to add the file to the playlist as soon as possible after beginning the download, as that is what triggers libktorrent to go into sequential download mode.
          Last edited by HalationEffect; Dec 02, 2012, 04:40 PM.
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

you could try qBittorent. It allows you to download sequencially.

You can then open the files in VLC

Comment

@Jimmy
              I tried using utorrent with wine but that too failed to stream through wine.

@Nayar
              Yes qBittorrent allows you to download files sequentially but many times VLC fails to play files that are being downloaded.

@HalationEffect
              Your method worked like charm. I was unaware that adding the file to playlist makes libktorrent to go into sequential mode. Ktorrent is best !!!!

Thanks all

Comment

Working...
              X