This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trouble moving files around in dolphin

I got 12.10 installed after the second try the other weekend. The first attempt left me unable to login to my old profile. So I moved all my files off to another hdd and installed. Then able to login I set a copy task to work to move all my files back over into my new home and went off to do other things. When I got back to my machine I went about installing the necessaries. I then rebooted and tried to get some music going only to find out it had not been moved over. It seems as though dolphin is being a bit finicky about which files it will copy/move around. Had to install and use Konqueror. Is there any word about a fix for dolphin or do I just need to get used to using Konqueror again?

We will need more details to help you.

* What errors did you see, if any?
    * Is there anything in common with all the files that didn't move, such as incorrect permissions?

These are just a couple examples.

Comment

I'd bet on Permissions. I've hit that particular learning curve several times. It's usually the first thing I check after a failed file transfer. Especially from another disk.
      GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Anytime I'm dealing with moving files between hard drives (Win7, Kubuntu 12.10, Ubuntu 12.10) I find it easier in general to run as root. For example in the terminal just type "sudo dolphin".
        Andy R.
        Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

When I am moving large amounts of stuff I care about, I use rsync as root and chown after moving it back.
          --
          Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by Unhinged View Post
            ...in the terminal just type "sudo dolphin".
            Not the way to do this. Whenever you want/need to use a GUI application "as root", launch it with kdesudo.
            Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 18, 2012, 09:28 PM.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Anyhow, the fault is unusual.

So what does tight-clicking the files in question tell you about the ownership of them AND the partition you try to move them to?
              The error might have been introduced during the back up.

The back end of Dolphin is pretty much the same as what Konqueror is using so switching between them should not do much.

Running the file manager as root (or kdesudo) is almost guaranteed to change the permissions for common files, not so good.

Comment

Until the OP comes back with more info, we're all kind of speculation mode at the moment...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  We will need more details to help you.

* What errors did you see, if any? I got an error that some files could not be transferred correctly
                  * Is there anything in common with all the files that didn't move, such as incorrect permissions? The permissions seem correct on files in question

These are just a couple examples.
                  So I first tried drag and drop, got an error that some files would not transfer. I tried this as root with the same outcome. It seems that most of the files were large media files (mp3, videos) but also some documents and encrypted files. Luckily I have most of the files on a netbook as well so I have been able to move things between the netbook and my desktop using Konqueror. With the variance in file types I am still coming across files that were not moved, Non of the files were vary critical so I have re-purposed the other drive and plan to use that as my partition for VMs.

I will connect my netbook later this weekend and try and get some more output in Konsole to share on this problem.

Thank you all whom have replied. I have the next couple days off of work so I should be back more often at least through the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X