This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expanding Icons of Drives in Dolphin

In Dolphin (v 2.1 on KDE 4.9.2), how does one make the drive icons on the left automatically expand when you drag the bar in the middle to the right?

On previous version of Dolphin, they would automatically expand, but this version they stay small, no matter how far across to the right I drag the separator.

Now that you mention it I am seeing the same thing, I do not see any configuration in the UI, my guess is they have changed this behaviour in 4.9 for some reason.

To be honest I am in two minds as to whether this is a good or a bad move, I always felt the expanding icons mildly buggy for some reason.

Comment

I thought it was a neat feature. Definitely not a show stopper though.

Comment

See KDE bug 301959. Do take the time to read the comments -- it's illuminating to consider the range of responses and the attitudes of certain people. I call your attention especially to:
        • post #44, a suggestion to avoid conspiracy theory talk
        • post #62, a technical explanation for the change in behavior
        • post #72, a documented method for statically changing the icon size

I can confirm the steps in post #72 work in KDE 4.9.3.
        Last edited by SteveRiley; Nov 17, 2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Comments threads make my brain bleed.

Usually.
          --
          Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by Spadge View Post
            Comments threads make my brain bleed.

Usually.
            But they are forum efficient. There is no sense quoting entire contents that can just be referenced.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Heh, as someone that likes icons to stay out of the way I never realised there was a resize option
              I find my files by following the tree.
              If I need thumbnails the Gwenview browse mode is quite sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                Heh, as someone that likes icons to stay out of the way I never realised there was a resize option
                I find my files by following the tree.
                If I need thumbnails the Gwenview browse mode is quite sufficient.
                I think he means the places panel, not the main view

Comment

My concern here is that a feature was removed, and deemed to be a "bug fix" due to a bug report, perhaps the impetus to completely re-write some code, but the obviously greater cry over it's loss (and bug reports) is discounted.

I miss this feature myself, mostly, but as I am currently running Nepomuk et al, my sidebar is populated with search items now that would look like garbage if resized to anything larger, and require scrolling there.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    My concern here is that a feature was removed, and deemed to be a "bug fix" due to a bug report, perhaps the impetus to completely re-write some code, but the obviously greater cry over it's loss (and bug reports) is discounted.
                    I think the panel was rewritten to implement some features that the old code could not support and this feature was chosen not to be reimplemented due to its buggy nature in combination with the bug reports about it. However it looks like there is now an option to set the icon size (at least in the config files, from what I can tell the gui option missed the string freeze so has to wait till the next version). I think this is a better solution to the problem over all, I liked the larger icons, but not so much the constantly changing size (especially when you plugged in a drive with a long name forced everything to be small).

Who will actually miss the dynamic resize over just having the ability to resize the icons? (I am not asking this rhetorically, it would be nice to know).

Comment

Working...
                    X