This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vmplayer 5.0 and 12.10

After installing 12.04 I tried installing the latest vmplayer. have done this before and had problems with 12.04 for vmplayer 4.0. Steve helped with that one but by the life of me I can't remember how we did that one.

Installation runs fine. When I start vmplayer I get the message that it can't find the linux-headers. These are installed to /usr/src (as far as i know). when I browse to there and click refresh->install I get another error message.

Running from konsole I get:
    fintan@fintanws2:/home$ vmplayer
    Logging to /tmp/vmware-fintan/vmware-modconfig-3607.log

(vmware-modconfig:3607): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme file for default has no directories

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
    anyone have vmplayer 5.0 installed on 12.10?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Hi Fintan

Have a look at this threat http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...light=vmplayer.

It worked for me
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you Gerard. I remeber that thread but first I can't even get to the module building part.

I am stuck with the error message showing that vmware can't find the linux generic header 3.5.0.17. In the error screen I can browser to /usr/src or /lib/modules/ where the headers are supposedly installed. I then do a refresh and click install which throws me another error saying vm can't find the C header files.

I tried the patch anyway doing the following:

Downloaded vmware9_kernel35_patch.tar.bz2

I then did:
      sudo -i
      cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source
      tar -xvf /home/fintan/Downloads/Vmware/Vmware5/vmware9_kernel35_patch.tar.bz2
      Code:
      sed -i 's/4\.0\.2/4\.0\.3/' patch-modules_3.5.0.sh
      This did't work as it couldn't find the folder.

So:
      Code:
      root@fintanws2:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source# cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware9_kernel3.5_patch
      then:
      root@fintanws2:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware9_kernel3.5_patch# sed -i 's/4\.0\.2/4\.0\.3/' patch-modules_3.5.0.shroot@fintanws2:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware9_kernel3.5_patch# sed -i 's/8\.0\.2/8\.0\.3/' patch-modules_3.5.0.sh
      root@fintanws2:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware9_kernel3.5_patch# ./patch-modules_3.5.0.sh
      Sorry, this script is only for VMWare WorkStation 9.0.0 or VMWare Player 5.0.0. Exiting
      root@fintanws2:/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmware9_kernel3.5_patch#
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Oh boy, I going stupid. It has been so long since I did a clean install I completely forgot this:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install build-essential
        Now all is well
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Code:
          sudo apt-get install build-essential
          That would have been my next suggestion but good to hear it all worked out
          sigpic

Comment

4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Installing build-essential has gotten to be a part of my initial installing procedure. I got tired of needing it all the time and not having it already installed so that's almost the first thing I do to a fresh install.
              GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

VMware Player 5.01 is out and officially supports Ubuntu 12.10 as host and guest OS - in case anyone is interested.

http://www.vmware.com/support/player...ase-notes.html
                --
                Intocabile

Comment

Updated from 5.0 to 5.0.1 via the Help menu and...it worked!

Comment

Working...
                  X