This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMail or mail services

I'm not sure if this is a Kubuntu/KDE issue or a Linux core issue. I have had an e-amil address with a hypen/dash in it for years. I use it for a large number of forums and mail-lists. About two days ago, around the time of the latest Linux core update, it stopped working. I get messages back from my provider that only reference the hyphen and the characters that normally follow it. My provider says the account is working correctly. Have KMail or the mail services in Linux been changed in the past few days to disallow a hyphen in an e-mail name? The name format is "xxx-yyyyy@myprovider.ca". All the responses I get are only "-yyyyy@myprovider.ca". Messages such as: Invalid response from server" "-yyyyy@myprovider.ca".
    An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

I would try re-entering your address in the usual areas. Perhaps in your last upgrade the ghost in the machine inserted a space or other invalid character where it should not be. I've heard of some servers being difficult with some characters (don't know why or if that's true). You can check format requirements here... http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322
    Andy R.
    Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

I created a new e-mail id without a hyphen and went around all my forums and mailing lists and changed the mail address. It was a chore, but I should know better than to use special characters and punctuation in things like that. Your response was my first signal from the new e-mail. Worked great. Thanks.
      An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Comment

Working...
      X