Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just for the record, solved a recuring Google Earth problem with missing libGL.so.1

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for the record, solved a recuring Google Earth problem with missing libGL.so.1

As said in the Title, I had this recurring problem while using the Intel video driver on Kubuntu 64-bit, Google Earth fails fails to start and exited with this message:
    ./googleearth-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Recurring as in since I use a Lenovo W520 with dual Intel and nVidia cards, when I run on battery I use the Intel card and got the error, when on the nVidia card all was well.

I've now made a link from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/LibGL.so.1 to /opt/google/earth/free/ and this solves the issue.
    Last edited by Teunis; Oct 26, 2012, 05:03 AM. Reason: tences

Duh!
    Now Google Earth would not display the globe while on nVidia, replacing the link above with one from /usr/lib32/nvidia-current-updates did the trick.
    Now I'll have to boot into Intel to see if that one still works.

Edit: No it doesn't work in both nVidia and Intel, each needs it's own lib :mad:

There must be a better way...
    Last edited by Teunis; Nov 06, 2012, 02:18 PM. Reason: Unsolved

Comment

Why are you launching this: ./googleearth-bin

Why don't you install the deb from the Google Earth website, there's a brand new version 7.00. Works perfectly for me on x64.

http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

Comment

The newer version does not solve the problem one lib is required for running on Intel and another for the times I'm running on nVidia.
        But it does introduce other problems like you click on a Panoramio photo in Google Earth and when it has links to similar photo's these can't be opened.
        And when I put the name of a place in the search bar it will move the focus to some place in Atlantic Ocean instead of the location...

BTW, I run the command from the konsole as it's the quickest way to get relevant error messages.
        Last edited by Teunis; Nov 07, 2012, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X