X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup utility

Good day,

I am migrating over to Kubuntu from Ubuntu and searching for a backup utility similar to SimpleBackup. I am looking for something more than a front-end to rsync, so luckyBackup is not a contender.

Features I am seeking
    1. directory exclusion
    2. exclusion by file type
    3. cron scheduling
    4. root/super user profile
    5. back-up entire system, not just a home folder
    6. compressed file (tar.gz, zip) result

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by dwlamb; Jan 08, 2013, 12:27 PM. Reason: amended features seeking

What is wrong with an rsync frontend? Luckybackup can do everything you asked for.

Comment

I want a tarball result like what Simplebackup provides

Comment

Well, the "purists" on here will vilify me for this sugestion, but: Why not just install SimpleBackup?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Well, the "purists" on here will vilify me for this sugestion, but: Why not just install SimpleBackup?
          Ahh you beat me to it

I agree, if you like it, use it

Comment

I know this is a little off topic and not quite what the OP is looking for but has he evr though of using "dd"? "dd" is my back-up utility of choice although it has some disadvantages, most can be overcome using "dd_rescue." At the moment I use a combination of ownCloud, dd, and luckyBackup (with rsync.)

I know luckyBackup isn't the best but it has great features, an easy to use interface and has a "rsync mode". luckyBackup can do file exclusion etc. Its actually immensely powerful. Maybe you should explore it a little more.

Another option is Back in Time. I have only used it briefly and haven't explored it too much but it seems quite good and very simple to use.

The prerequisite for more than just home and compression just screams to me "dd" although that produces large backups (even with compression) and has no support for file exclusion or doing it while the system is running. An example of a command I might use to back-up:

Code:
            sudo dd if=/dev/sdb bs=32M conv=noerror,sync | pv |  pigz -c > <path to back-up location>/system.image.gz
            By the way, pigz is a parallel implementation of gzip for increased speed. Also pv measures througput of a pipe which is great for measuring progress.

Code:
            pigz -d <path to image> | pv | dd of=/dev/<desired harddrive> bs=32M conv=noerror,sync
            I can write up a semi tutorial for this if you want. Its honestly the best way to make perfect system images and states that can be restored to when you need to but the catch is that you can't really use it while the system is live.

Last idea I have is maybe to use git somehow. I have a friend that uses git for backups and he says its amazing. I don't know the pros and cons of this approach.

Comment

I am trying to get away from elements of GTK libraries and such in my system.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

Comment

I use Kbackup. Its simple and gives me a tarball of the directories I select.

Comment

Thanks for the offer. What is the difference between taking a system off-line for your method vs. taking it off-line and using clonezilla to copy an image to an external hard drive? Not much I imagine.

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                  I know this is a little off topic and not quite what the OP is looking for but has he evr though of using "dd"? "dd" is my back-up utility of choice although it has some disadvantages, most can be overcome using "dd_rescue." At the moment I use a combination of ownCloud, dd, and luckyBackup (with rsync.)

I know luckyBackup isn't the best but it has great features, an easy to use interface and has a "rsync mode". luckyBackup can do file exclusion etc. Its actually immensely powerful. Maybe you should explore it a little more.

Another option is Back in Time. I have only used it briefly and haven't explored it too much but it seems quite good and very simple to use.

The prerequisite for more than just home and compression just screams to me "dd" although that produces large backups (even with compression) and has no support for file exclusion or doing it while the system is running. An example of a command I might use to back-up:

Code:
                  sudo dd if=/dev/sdb bs=32M conv=noerror,sync | pv |  pigz -c > <path to back-up location>/system.image.gz
                  By the way, pigz is a parallel implementation of gzip for increased speed. Also pv measures througput of a pipe which is great for measuring progress.

Code:
                  pigz -d <path to image> | pv | dd of=/dev/<desired harddrive> bs=32M conv=noerror,sync
                  I can write up a semi tutorial for this if you want. Its honestly the best way to make perfect system images and states that can be restored to when you need to but the catch is that you can't really use it while the system is live.

Last idea I have is maybe to use git somehow. I have a friend that uses git for backups and he says its amazing. I don't know the pros and cons of this approach.

Comment

Originally posted by dwlamb View Post
                    Thanks for the offer. What is the difference between taking a system off-line for your method vs. taking it off-line and using clonezilla to copy an image to an external hard drive? Not much I imagine.
                    Yeah not much at all. It involves booting a live usb and doing the back-up activities from there just like you would with clonezilla. I just like the "dd" method because its 100% effective at restoring a system no matter what you do. Many back-up solutions fail to restore systems properly.

Comment

Working...
                    X