This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot get packages

I installed Kubuntu 12.10 about four days ago, this is my first experience with linux. After installation, I started the process of downloading system updates and assorted packages. Moun worked fine at first, but now is telling me either that no packages could be installed or that another package manager is in use, nor can i get any of the system updates that are ready to be downloaded. To the best of my knowledge I do not have another package manager running. I havent really tried to use the console to because I am not at all familiar with it

open a terminal and type in
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    if it runs through great , if not post the error messages hear,,,,,,,you can copy and paste from the terminal.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks for the response. Here are the results:

after sudo apt-get update:
      W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.1)/dists/quantal/main/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.1)/dists/quantal/multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.1)/dists/quantal/restricted/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.1)/dists/quantal/universe/binary-amd64/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.1)/dists/quantal/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.1)/dists/quantal/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.1)/dists/quantal/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

W: Failed to fetch cdrom://Kubuntu 12.10 _Quantal Quetzal_ - Release amd64 (20121017.1)/dists/quantal/universe/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

and after sudo apt-get dist-update:

@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      E: The package ttf-mscorefonts-installer needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.

For what its worth, I have an intel i3 processor.
      Thanks for your help.

Comment

Disable the CD-ROM as an active repository entry.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That seems to have taken care of the problem, thank you.

Comment

You're welcome.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X