X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox and Thunderbird doesn't start

Hi

I use Firefox and Thunderbird, but since last software update (I think it was yesterday), an error appears when I try to launch them:

Code:
    santiago@d1:~$ firefox
    XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/firefox/libxpcom.so:
    libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Couldn't load XPCOM.
    santiago@d1:~$ thunderbird
    XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/thunderbird/libxpcom.so:
    libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Couldn't load XPCOM.
    Any help?. I have tried to reinstall firefox, but the problem persists.

Thanks in advance.

Update again and see if it's still a problem. I just updated mine and it's fine.
    --
    Intocabile

Comment

Do you mean sudo apt-get update?

Comment

Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        Refreshes repos
        Code:
        sudo apt-get upgrade
        Updates software

So you need to:

Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Comment

sudo apt-get upgrade isn't as beneficial as sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (recommended).
          upgrade
          upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages
          currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in
          /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new
          versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no
          circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages
          not already installed retrieved and installed
          . New versions of
          currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without
          changing the install status of another package will be left at
          their current version.
          An update must be performed first so that
          apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade
          dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
          also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions
          of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and
          it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the
          expense of less important ones if necessary. So, dist-upgrade
          command may remove some packages
          . The /etc/apt/sources.list file
          contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package
          files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding
          the general settings for individual packages.

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Upgrade or dist-upgrade does not work, still the same error.

Comment

Purge the Thunderbird/Firefox packages and then re-install! If this still doesn't work you can just download the binary packages from Mozilla's website.

By the way, one of dist-upgrade's disadvantages is that it switches repos for packages. This is good and bad. Good because as it says, "intelligently" manages your packages allowing you to always have the latest packages. However, there are a few down sides: you don't always want packages from unofficial repos for security or stability reasons. I might be wrong about this but that is how it was sort of explained to me.

Comment

"it switches repos for packages."

No, it doesn't. The only repositories 'used' are the ones specified in your /etc/apt/sources.list file, and any other sources file(s) in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  No, it doesn't. The only repositories 'used' are the ones specified in your /etc/apt/sources.list file, and any other sources file(s) in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory.
                  Ooh thanks for clarifying that for me! Guess I always had it wrong then. I'll definitely use/push dist-upgrade more. I was always cautious of it as I thought it would change the repos of packages and I always felt that I should keep as many packages as core repo packages where possible. Now I know I can safely use dist-upgrade even with a ton of repos added and not fear core things breaking!

Learning something every day!

Comment

Keep in mind, that using dist-upgrade 'can' result in packages being removed (if apt determines doing so is necessary to complete the dist-upgrade). I always do package management from the console so I have the opportunity to see what is going to change -- what will be installed; upgraded; held back; removed. If in doubt, I opt to not continue.

Comment

Yeah I also prefer the terminal. Well now I understand why people complain that Muon or something else disappeared after updating their system. Anyways, enough of this tangent, lets just wait for the OP to get back to us so we can help him with his problem.

Comment

We need to see the output of
                        Code:
                        ll /usr/lib/firefox
                        to properly diagnose this. On my machine, the file libxpcom.so is present.

I've seen such errors occur even if the file is present but is of the wrong architecture type. So let's also check that. Please show the outputs of these commands:
                        Code:
                        uname -a

dpkg -l | egrep 'firefox|thunderbird'

apt-cache policy firefox

apt-cache policy thunderbird
                        Last edited by SteveRiley; Nov 26, 2012, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                          Purge the Thunderbird/Firefox packages and then re-install! If this still doesn't work you can just download the binary packages from Mozilla's website.

By the way, one of dist-upgrade's disadvantages is that it switches repos for packages. This is good and bad. Good because as it says, "intelligently" manages your packages allowing you to always have the latest packages. However, there are a few down sides: you don't always want packages from unofficial repos for security or stability reasons. I might be wrong about this but that is how it was sort of explained to me.
                          But... How I do that?. I mean, purge Firefox/Thunderbird packages

Comment

Originally posted by slamelov View Post
                            But... How I do that?. I mean, purge Firefox/Thunderbird packages
                            Please perform the diagnostic steps I listed first. I've added two more since I first wrote the post. This will ensure that we have an accurate picture of what's on your system.

Comment

Code:
                              santiago@d1:~$ uname -a
                              Linux d1 3.5.0-18-generic #29-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 19 10:27:31 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
                              santiago@d1:~$ dpkg -l | egrep 'firefox|thunderbird'
                              ii  firefox                                  17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1               i386         Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
                              ii  firefox-globalmenu                       17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1               i386         Unity appmenu integration for Firefox
                              ii  firefox-locale-en                        17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1               i386         English language pack for Firefox
                              ii  firefox-locale-es                        17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1               i386         Spanish; Castilian language pack for Firefox
                              ii  kubuntu-firefox-installer                12.04ubuntu1                               i386         Mozilla Firefox installer for Kubuntu
                              ii  thunderbird                              17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1               i386         Email, RSS and newsgroup client with integrated spam filter
                              ii  thunderbird-globalmenu                   17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1               i386         Unity appmenu integration for Thunderbird
                              ii  thunderbird-locale-en                    1:17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1             i386         English language pack for Thunderbird
                              ii  thunderbird-locale-en-gb                 1:17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1             all          Transitional English language pack for Thunderbird
                              ii  thunderbird-locale-en-us                 1:17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1             all          Transitional English language pack for Thunderbird
                              ii  thunderbird-locale-es                    1:17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1             i386         Spanish; Castilian language pack for Thunderbird
                              ii  thunderbird-locale-es-ar                 1:17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1             all          Transitional Spanish language pack for Thunderbird
                              ii  thunderbird-locale-es-es                 1:17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1             all          Transitional Spanish language pack for Thunderbird
                              santiago@d1:~$ apt-cache policy firefox
                              firefox:
                                Instalados: 17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1
                                Candidato:  17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1
                                Tabla de versión:
                               *** 17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1 0
                                      500 http://ftp.rnl.ist.utl.pt/pub/ubuntu/archive/ quantal-updates/main i386 Packages
                                      500 http://ftp.rnl.ist.utl.pt/pub/ubuntu/archive/ quantal-security/main i386 Packages
                                      100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                                   16.0.1+build1-0ubuntu1 0
                                      500 http://ftp.rnl.ist.utl.pt/pub/ubuntu/archive/ quantal/main i386 Packages
                              santiago@d1:~$ apt-cache policy thunderbird
                              thunderbird:
                                Instalados: 17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1
                                Candidato:  17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1
                                Tabla de versión:
                               *** 17.0+build2-0ubuntu0.12.10.1 0
                                      500 http://ftp.rnl.ist.utl.pt/pub/ubuntu/archive/ quantal-updates/main i386 Packages
                                      500 http://ftp.rnl.ist.utl.pt/pub/ubuntu/archive/ quantal-security/main i386 Packages
                                      100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                                   16.0.1+build1-0ubuntu1 0
                                      500 http://ftp.rnl.ist.utl.pt/pub/ubuntu/archive/ quantal/main i386 Packages
                              santiago@d1:~$

Comment

Working...
                              X