Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu+Kubuntu dualboot UEFI both use /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu how toget seperate entries

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu+Kubuntu dualboot UEFI both use /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu how toget seperate entries

Hi

I have a UEFI system running various OS's.

i.e

opensuse, arch, ubuntu, kubuntu

My issue is that both ubuntu + kubuntu share the same UEFI folder - /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu meaning that when I install the 2nd (of the 2 ubuntu based os's) it overwrites the previous UEFI entry.

I can still access the other on via grub, however I like to use rEFInd to boot into os's, I believe it detects os's my folder within /boot/efi/EFI/

How can I change it so that kubuntu fo example uses /boot/efi/EFI/kubuntu ? and thus has a seperate entry with the UEFI menu ?

(i.e opensuse, arch are fine as they have seperate UEFI entries anyway.)

Have you tried installing kubuntu, renaming the folder '/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu' to '/boot/efi/EFI/kubuntu', updating rEFInd and rebooting? Does it still boot?

AFAIK, rEFInd uses its own EFI boot files anyway.

Also, look at http://linux.die.net/man/8/efibootmgr for creating new EFI entries in nvram.
    --
    Intocabile

Comment

Ha! Now this is a curious issue that hadn't occurred to me during all my experimentation with UEFI. GRUB manages the placement of the EFI stub and the NVRAM variables, so having a dual install of Ubuntu and Kubuntu on a UEFI machine will be problematic. I haven't investigated rEFInd yet (as I now boot the kernel directly without either rEFInd or GRUB), but there might be a way to convince rEFInd to handle the situation. Certainly something to investigate.

Comment

Working...
      X