This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High CPU + Lock-up/Freeze after booting up

I wanted to share this post for people that may be experiencing issues that I have after upgrading from 12.04 to 12.10.

Today I discovered that after rebooting from the upgrade process my laptop, which is a Dell Latitude E6420, would lock up after a minute of being booted up. Luckily I had added a widget on my desktop which showed me my CPU load. Well, all four of my CPU cores were maxed out right after booted -- that is signed in with my user. I would estimate between a minute to a minute and thirty seconds is when it would lock up and freeze. So I had to do a hard power shut off as neither the keyboard nor the mouse would function when it froze. Also, you cannot drop down to console mode (runlevel 1) either. So the next time I booted up again, I opened a terminal window and did a "top" to see what process could be causing this. Come to find out "Akonadi" was the culprit. This service needs to be shut off. Akonadi is a storage service which gathers metadata of sorts from different components such as Kmail and Kopete, etc... If you see a benefit to having it turned on, then you will have to find another solution. Nepomuk in the past was also a big annoyance as it would occupy resources, so you may want to shut that off as well.

To do this, you can follow the following link: http://ubuntuku.org/16/how-to-disable-nepomuk-akonadi/

You will want to boot up into single user mode to be able to do this. If you have encrypted your home directory then this will be a little trickier as you will have to mount it.

If you have any questions, leave me a comment.

Thanks,
    Franck

Maybe Akonadi devs could limit the % usage CPU of akonadi up to lets say 75% max. In that way it wouldn't freeze the system in case something goes wrong.

Comment

I disable the Mail Indexer and have no problems with Nepomuk. But I do disable Akonadi.
      GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Working...
      X