Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network disconnect issues after updates.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network disconnect issues after updates.

Todays updates are causing disconnect issues for me. libnss3, libnspr4-0d, libnspr4, libnss-1d was upgraded. How or can I downgrade these?
    Last edited by eddieg538; Jan 24, 2014, 10:50 PM.
    Alienware 17 R2
    ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
    Nvidia Graphics
    16 Ram
    Close Windows and open the world!!

Doesn't anyone know how to help? I can't have my computer to keep disconnecting me.
    Alienware 17 R2
    ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
    Nvidia Graphics
    16 Ram

Comment

Wired or wireless? Brand and model of adapters? Which drivers are in use? Anything in the syslog?

It's difficult to recommend where to begin looking for solutions when we don't know what you have.

Comment

Wireless. Its an intel card 4965agn. Where is the syslog? It was fine until the updates in my 1st post.
        Alienware 17 R2
        ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
        Nvidia Graphics
        16 Ram

Comment

Please show the output of
          Code:
          sudo lshw -C net
          to provide more details, including driver, about your network adapters.

The "syslog" is the file /var/log/syslog. There might be useful information. Next time your wireless disconnects, please do whatever you do to reconnect it and then attach a copy of the syslog file to a reply here. I'd like to take a look.

Comment

here is the output...

*-network
            description: Wireless interface
            product: PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection
            vendor: Intel Corporation
            physical id: 0
            bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
            logical name: wlan0
            version: 61
            serial: 00:1f:3b:c7:d4:a3
            width: 64 bits
            clock: 33MHz
            capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
            configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl4965 driverversion=3.2.0-58-generic-pae firmware=228.61.2.24 ip=192.168.1.2 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
            resources: irq:46 memory:ecffe000-ecffffff
            *-network
            description: Ethernet interface
            product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
            vendor: Broadcom Corporation
            physical id: 0
            bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
            logical name: eth0
            version: 02
            serial: 00:19:b9:63:8c:05
            size: 10Mbit/s
            capacity: 100Mbit/s
            width: 32 bits
            clock: 33MHz
            capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
            configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=2.0 duplex=half latency=64 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=10Mbit/s
            resources: irq:17 memory:eccfe000-eccfffff

ok, when it disconnects I have to restart. Then I'll send the syslog.. Thank you.
            Alienware 17 R2
            ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
            Nvidia Graphics
            16 Ram

Comment

I had exactly the same problem when I was running 12.04. I had to plug in an eth cable to get a connection. That's wasn't a problem for me because my wifi is about two feet away from my computer. But, when I wanted to move my computer and still have a connection I couldn't.

For me, the problem was the kernel. I experimented with kernels until I got it working again, which required a kernel of version 3.9 or higher. I used the liquorice kernel from their PPA.
              BUT, when Kubuntu 14.04 alpha was released I tried a LiveCD of it and my wifi worked, so I installed it and am using it now.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ok. I had to restart my internet modem/router and my machine has not disconnected once. Why would this be so? What do drivers on my machine have to do with my modem/router?
                Alienware 17 R2
                ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                Nvidia Graphics
                16 Ram

Comment

Originally posted by eddieg538 View Post
                  Ok. I had to restart my internet modem/router and my machine has not disconnected once. Why would this be so?
                  Consumer networking gear is super cheap, has buggy software, and is basically unreliable. The networking stack can get buggered up with bad data in the queues, buffers that won't empty, out-of-order state machines, all kinds of weird crap. Rebooting makes this go away, at least for a while.

Originally posted by eddieg538 View Post
                  What do drivers on my machine have to do with my modem/router?
                  Drivers control how your network adapters create datagrams and communicate with peers. There are edge cases in which changing the way a client machine behaves can improve how it interacts with upstream devices. As an example, see the article I wrote about changing a TCP parameter in Windows Vista to make it cooperate better with hotel routers.

Comment

Oh I see. So it's actually a good idea to restart your modem/router occasionally. I'll mark this as solved. Thanks Steve!!
                    Alienware 17 R2
                    ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                    Nvidia Graphics
                    16 Ram

Comment

Working...
                    X