Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Kubuntu Boot Drives and 1 Thunderbird Email Data File... Can It Be Done?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Kubuntu Boot Drives and 1 Thunderbird Email Data File... Can It Be Done?

I fabricated my own HD switch. With the switch, a user can select which physical drive to boot: Kubunutu 12.04, Kubuntu 13.04, or Windoze. I also have a 500GB Data drive that is accessible from any boot drive.

I just installed 13.04 on a Samsung SSD. Here's the challenge. I want to be able to use (the same version) of Thunderbird Email on both drives and have one email data file (for both apps) reside on the Data drive. My expectation is that it wouldn't matter which Kubuntu drive I boot to (as far as email is concerned) because I would be able to see the same inbox, and all the other folders and all the same mail no matter which app downloaded the latest emails. BREAK BREAK !

I just thought of another option as I was explaining my challenge above. Would it be easier to install Thunderbird on my Data drive so each Kubuntu drive would, in fact, access the same email with all the data in tact? How would I even start that process because I don't want to lose 3 years worth of email? Please advise.
    Last edited by mhumm2; Apr 27, 2013, 02:38 PM. Reason: Solved the challenge
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Tired of Waiting But Others Can Benfit !!!

I figured it out. It only took about 12 hours of research from more than 20 different websites. Since I went to all of that work, I'm posting it here so others can find the answer easier than I did.

Code:
    [General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=0
    Path=/media/Data/Email/lrr6bk2l.default
    Every Thunderbird email installation uses a profile.ini file. In Kubuntu (and all Linux I imagine), that file is located in your Home directory, in a hidden file ~/.thunderbird. Mine is displayed above. You can't move this file because TM will just create a new (and empty) one so you have to modify it. First I changed IsRelative=1 to 0 because I was providing an absolute file reference from root. Next I typed the path to the location, on my Data drive where the profile will be from now on. The last step is simply moving the profile ("lrr6bk2l.default" on my system) to the new location. Now both TM installs, on the two boot drives "see" the same profile which includes the same Inbox and all the other email folders I made as well as all the email in those folders.

As are most things in Linux, it's not difficult, it's just a matter of finding out how to do something. TTYL
    Last edited by mhumm2; May 17, 2013, 07:54 PM. Reason: fixed code, /code tags
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Just curiosity, but would a SymLink to the moved Profile work? Instead of the Path statement.
      GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
        Just curiosity, but would a SymLink to the moved Profile work? Instead of the Path statement.
        Yes, a symlink works as well. I use one for access to .virtualbox also.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X