Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've lost the menu that pops up when I highlight or click on a URL.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've lost the menu that pops up when I highlight or click on a URL.

I've lost the menu that pops up when I highlight or click on a URL. I don't know the name for this menu but it has always been there when running Ubuntu and Kubuntu.
    I do use it a lot to load web pages by highlight the web address, it pops up and then I click on
    Firefox on this pop-up menu and that will open up Firefox and go to that web page.
    So, can anyone tell me how to get it back and how not to lose it again? Thanks for all the help.

Okay, I think the menu I'm looking for help on is the "context menu". Help please!

Comment

Applications implement their own context menus. So do mean to say that you've lost the context menu within Firefox?

Comment

Klipper does that sort of thing. Click on the klipper scissors in the system tray (at least that's what I see for quetzal), is "Enable clipboard actions" checked?

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

jlittle, Thanks
          I went and checked the "Enable clipboard actions" and it was checked.

Comment

jlittle, thanks

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
            Klipper does that sort of thing. Click on the klipper scissors in the system tray (at least that's what I see for quetzal), is "Enable clipboard actions" checked?

Regards, John Little
            Before, when I highlighted/doubled clicked on a URL such as:
            https://twitter.com/

The popup menu/context menu had a "open in Firefox" entry. I would select this entry and away I would go to that web page in Firefox.

But now, when I highlighted/doubled clicked on a URL such as:
            https://twitter.com/
            I get a this menu:

html document Actions for: https://twitter.com/
            Ubuntu tour
            Disable this popup
            Cancel

I can click on the entry "html document Actions for: https://twitter.com/" but nothing happens. Which I understand it to say you can only perform the other three actions on that URL.

I have access to Mephis Linux, and was able to do all that I use to do with the context menu. I
            also unchecked the "Enable clipboard actions" and the context menu stopped functioning. I
            re-checked the "Enable clipboard actions" and all is well again.

I can not see anything in the Klipper help file and the last time I got an upgrade for klipper was 02/15/13. I've tried reinstalling and that did not change anything!

I STILL NEED HELP! "HELP"
            Last edited by fireboy; Apr 21, 2013, 09:19 PM. Reason: forgot something to add!

Comment

SteveRiley, thanks
              As you can see I found out that this context menu belongs to Klipper!

Comment

When I looked at this stuff, I didn't understand how klipper decided what to offer, but I have an inkling now. If I click the scissors, click configure klipper, and under actions there's an Enable MIME-base actions checkbox. I bet you've got that checked, too, but be sure. These are based on the file associations you see in System settings (I've set up a few to suit me, and they appear in the popup), and I wonder if yours are hosed. What does System settings, File associations, text, html say for you?

I still don't understand where the connection between an URL and text/html comes from.

Regards, John Little
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  When I looked at this stuff, I didn't understand how klipper decided what to offer, but I have an inkling now. If I click the scissors, click configure klipper, and under actions there's an Enable MIME-base actions checkbox. I bet you've got that checked, too, but be sure. These are based on the file associations you see in System settings (I've set up a few to suit me, and they appear in the popup), and I wonder if yours are hosed. What does System settings, File associations, text, html say for you?

I still don't understand where the connection between an URL and text/html comes from.

Regards, John Little
                  When I opened "configure file associations" and checked "text", Firefox was down in the list at the sixth position, and I moved it to the top position.

In "configure file associations" text is set to "html". and "html" is set to "application".

I'm only guessing that these are correct!
                  Keep me in mind jlittle if you think of anything else!

Comment

Working...
                  X