Chromium Fails to Close Out

Let's get the dull stuff out of the way first;
    Kubuntu 12.04 (of course)
    Chromium Version 25.0.1364.160
    with plugins;
    Awesome New Tab Page
    Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on
    Stylish

When I exit Chromium browser everything seems to be operating just fine. About half the time, when I reopen my browser it hangs and a CTRL+ESC shows I have more than one instance already running. Once I kill the process I am free to start the browser again. I tried to search for a solution with the browser itself but it runs trotting off to Google Chrome and talks about Windows related issues.

I went to ~/.config/chromium/Crash Reports but the directory is empty. On one site they suggest that deleting the current profile would be the solution, to me that sounds like you are ignoring the issue and throwing in the towel. Besides starting a new profile, means backing up bookmarks and installing needed plugins.

Thanks for helping me research this, there is no rush on this issue. I have already become accustom to checking System Activity before starting the browser.

have you tryed starting it from a terminal minimize it so you can have it and the terminal side by side and then click the close button and see if you get any usfull info in the terminal ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny, just during the start up some errors popped up;

[5528:5547:0412/020850:ERRORbject_proxy.cc(624)] Failed to get name owner. Got org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.chromium.Mtpd': no such name

I searched and found this to be a "common error" that has some people trouble shooting why Google Chrome freezes up on 12.10.

[5528:5545:0412/020851:ERRORbject_proxy.cc(529)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KWallet.isEnabled: object_path= /modules/kwalletd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.kde.kwalletd was not provided by any .service files

Ah, well this is a "no brainer" since I have the KWallet service disabled. Then after complaining about KWallet a few more times it tells me this;

[5528:5528:0412/021506:ERRORmnibox_view_gtk.cc(431)] Not implemented reached in virtual void OmniboxViewGtk::ApplyCaretVisibility()

also

(exe:5829): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

But so far these are errors that occur while running not during shutdown or after. But thanks again, I will keep watching it.

Comment

Just an update, I could not figure out why chromium fails to close half the time making me force a shutdown from System Activity. So I right clicked and placed a launcher on the task bar when it is not running. At least now I can know when it hasn't shut down since the launcher won't be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          Let's get the dull stuff out of the way first;
          Kubuntu 12.04 (of course)
          Chromium Version 25.0.1364.160
          with plugins;
          Awesome New Tab Page
          Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on
          Stylish

When I exit Chromium browser everything seems to be operating just fine. About half the time, when I reopen my browser it hangs and a CTRL+ESC shows I have more than one instance already running. Once I kill the process I am free to start the browser again. I tried to search for a solution with the browser itself but it runs trotting off to Google Chrome and talks about Windows related issues.

I went to ~/.config/chromium/Crash Reports but the directory is empty. On one site they suggest that deleting the current profile would be the solution, to me that sounds like you are ignoring the issue and throwing in the towel. Besides starting a new profile, means backing up bookmarks and installing needed plugins.

Thanks for helping me research this, there is no rush on this issue. I have already become accustom to checking System Activity before starting the browser.
          Firstly all your details etc are backed up by Google so don't worry about deleting your current config files and session stuff, Chromium will just restore them Honestly, its not skirting an issue, sometimes things get messed up with upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
            Firstly all your details etc are backed up by Google so don't worry about deleting your current config files and session stuff, Chromium will just restore them Honestly, its not skirting an issue, sometimes things get messed up with upgrades.
            I don't allow Google (or anyone else) to keep track or back up my stuff. Call me paranoid, but bookmarks, passwords, etc.. is mine. I keep them elsewhere. So my final solution was, I made a backup copy of ~/.config/chromium then ran it making a whole new profile. Before that I also exported my Awesome New Tab Page and checked to make sure I had everything. Since the reset it seems to be running better. I haven't reinstalled the Google Analytics Opt Out plugin which I suspect may have caused this issue. Many people don't like the plugin the company offers, since there is no real proof it works. As this article states, "Now. Opt-Out. Is it really? The short answer is no. The long answer is well-sorta.". I am not a big fan of the major search engines, however I for one use Google and others to search. But I never cared much for people peeking over my shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
              I don't allow Google (or anyone else) to keep track or back up my stuff. Call me paranoid, but bookmarks, passwords, etc.. is mine. I keep them elsewhere. So my final solution was, I made a backup copy of ~/.config/chromium then ran it making a whole new profile. Before that I also exported my Awesome New Tab Page and checked to make sure I had everything. Since the reset it seems to be running better. I haven't reinstalled the Google Analytics Opt Out plugin which I suspect may have caused this issue. Many people don't like the plugin the company offers, since there is no real proof it works. As this article states, "Now. Opt-Out. Is it really? The short answer is no. The long answer is well-sorta.". I am not a big fan of the major search engines, however I for one use Google and others to search. But I never cared much for people peeking over my shoulder.
              If privacy is such a big thing then I highly recommend Do Not Track. Its a great extension on Firefox and Chromium. Also Tor is a further consideration if you are extra serious about privacy though I don't know if Tor has a one click extension on Cromium.

Comment

Working...
              X