This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot upgrade 12.04 to 12.10 kernel and xorg

I thought I should upgrade to the new kernel and xorg to sort my gremlins so I entered the command:

Code:
    michel@michel-Satellite-L650:~$ sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-quantal xserver-xorg-lts-quantal
    [sudo] password for michel: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     audiocd-kio : Depends: libkcompactdisc4 but it is not going to be installed
     gvfs-daemons : Depends: x11-utils
     libkonq5abi1 : Depends: libkonq-common (>= 4:4.10.1-0ubuntu1~ubuntu12.04.2~ppa1) but it is not going to be installed
     libqt4-opengl : Depends: libgl1-mesa-glx or
                              libgl1
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    But I got an error that might indicate I have an issue with my dependencies but apt-get check does not find any. What gives?

Thanks,

Michel

those are not package names ,,,,,, and you cant/shouldn’t mix or try to mix packages from different releases ,,,,, you will have trolls instead of gremlins, big nasty ones.
    do this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    do you get errors ?
    you can install a newer kernel and xorg ,,,,,,but not like that , and I thought this was a production box you did not want to mess with 2 much , you are on your way to messing , ,,,,,perhaps this is how the gremlins got in to begin with??

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

No errors Vinny. I fixed these yesterday with:

Code:
      cd /var/lib/apt 
      sudo mv lists lists.old 
      sudo mkdir -p lists/partial 
      sudo apt-get clean 
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get upgrade
      That's why I was surprised when I thought I still had dependency issues.

Yes it's my production machine and I was thinking that maybe upgrading kernels and x org as with the new 12.04 will be a safer bet. I got the command line from the wiki. I thought that was the way to do it. So what next? And no I did not attempt this before. The gremlins were there from the start, left me alone for a while and then came back with a vengeance. Things have been quite since yesterday's kernel update to 3.2.0-39

Thanks,

Michel
      Last edited by michel; Mar 19, 2013, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by michel View Post
        No errors Vinny. I fixed these yesterday with:

Code:
        cd /var/lib/apt 
        sudo mv lists lists.old 
        sudo mkdir -p lists/partial 
        sudo apt-get clean 
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get upgrade
        That's why I was surprised when I thought I still had dependency issues.

Yes it's my production machine and I was thinking that maybe upgrading kernels and x org as with the new 12.04 will be a safer bet. I got the command line from the wiki. I thought that was the way to do it. So what next? And no I did not attempt this before. The gremlins were there from the start, left me alone for a while and then came back with a vengeance. Things have been quite since yesterday's kernel update to 3.2.0-39

Thanks,

Michel
        That's awful logic.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
          That's awful logic.
          ?

Michel

Comment

what wiki did you get that from ,,,post a link.

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

?

Michel
              The Kernel and xorg are really big, important packages. Many components are compiled against a specific version and just upgrading can lead to terrible consequences. This is more applicable to X than it is to the kernel. Nonetheless, if I were you I'd avoid trying that.

If you are in that great a need for a stable, reliable system and the current available *buntu offerings don't seem to work for you then give openSUSE 12.3 a shot even if it is only temporarily till 13.04 comes out... Give the live KDE disc a spin: http://software.opensuse.org/123/en

Comment

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack also it was discussed over here http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ow-Up-From-PPA and I was under the impression that it was a straight forward affair.

Michel

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                  The Kernel and xorg are really big, important packages. Many components are compiled against a specific version and just upgrading can lead to terrible consequences. This is more applicable to X than it is to the kernel. Nonetheless, if I were you I'd avoid trying that.

If you are in that great a need for a stable, reliable system and the current available *buntu offerings don't seem to work for you then give openSUSE 12.3 a shot even if it is only temporarily till 13.04 comes out... Give the live KDE disc a spin: http://software.opensuse.org/123/en
                  I have grown to like Kubuntu and would like to call it mine. I had an overall good experience so far except with setting up samba and the bugs I have reported. So I will stick with 12.04 for now until 13.04 comes along (is it an lts?).

Thanks,

Michel

Comment

I have grown to like Kubuntu and would like to call it mine. I had an overall good experience so far except with setting up samba and the bugs I have reported. So I will stick with 12.04 for now until 13.04 comes along (is it an lts?).

Thanks,

Michel
                    I was just making a suggestion because you've been having a plethora of varied problems, I definitely approve of your distro loyalty but remember to use what works. The next LTS will be 14.04 but that's still a good year and a bit off.

Comment

I hope I have resolved most of my issues. I am not getting any more crash reports so will see. If I had to look elsewhere I would try CentOs or Freebsd. Keep it on my machine until it dies! Tried Cent on my son's desktop extra HD and it bombed!

There is this guy dedoimedo who summed up the whole Linux situation. People came to Linux for the sake of freedom and efficacy, getting an OS that would just work. Both were achieved for a while but now Linux stability is on the line, that plus having to spend a month every year to fine tune a new install!

Why can;t we get a solid and stable Linux. The system should be supported for 5 years and the applications would be kept up to date with PPAs. As simple as that.

Michel

Comment

I hope I have resolved most of my issues. I am not getting any more crash reports so will see. If I had to look elsewhere I would try CentOs or Freebsd. Keep it on my machine until it dies! Tried Cent on my son's desktop extra HD and it bombed!

There is this guy dedoimedo who summed up the whole Linux situation. People came to Linux for the sake of freedom and efficacy, getting an OS that would just work. Both were achieved for a while but now Linux stability is on the line, that plus having to spend a month every year to fine tune a new install!

Why can;t we get a solid and stable Linux. The system should be supported for 5 years and the applications would be kept up to date with PPAs. As simple as that.

Michel
                        If you want an install once and never bother again system then your options are Arch, openSUSE with tumbleweed, Chakra, Sabayon, Gentoo, Fuduntu, Linux Mint Debian, Debian testing of which only the first 5 provide fairly modern packages. Simple as that.

Some people have managed to upgrade their Kubuntu install since 8.04 which means they've had good continuity but packages are frozen still between releases.

Comment

you can try a newer kernel rather easily and if it dosent work out just chose the older one in grub during boot and remove the newer one once booted up.

the kernels live hear http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

steve just posted how hear http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...730#post324730

basically you DL the 3 linux kernel files to a folder/directory and follow the install command steve posted from in that directory , reboot and test

personally both 12.04 and 12.10 have been perfectly stable for me , and my 12.04 has been net upgraded through every ver. sense 11.04 (do-release-upgrade) and runs a 3.5.0-5 kernal and the oibaf xorg PPA https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers/ seems to work fine on my Intel core-I3 graphics

of course I dont care if i trash something , this is NOT a production box , just my fun box and I have 2 other partitions to boot to if one go's south :-P

VINNY
                          Last edited by vinnywright; Mar 19, 2013, 09:09 PM.
                          16GB RAM

Comment

I just tried the LTS Enablement stuff on my Precise server. But only the kernel packages; my server has no X as it sits in my closet data center with the rest of my network gear. The new kernel installed without a hitch, and is now:
                            Code:
                            root@mini2140:~# [B]uname -a[/B]
                            Linux mini2140 3.5.0-26-generic #42~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 11 22:19:42 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
                            (It's amazing how well an Atom-based netbook can be pressed into server duty, haha.)

Based on the version number of the package in the unresolvable dependency error, I'm guessing you've enabled the Kubuntu backports PPA. The question that arises, then, is this: Is the Kubuntu backports PPA compatible with the LTS Enablement Stack for the X Server? I'm not sure. This would probably be a good question to post on the kubuntu-devel mailing list.

Comment

Working...
                            X