• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what I get:

Code:
    michel@michel-Satellite-L650:~$ apt-get -s purge gksu
    NOTE: This is only a simulation!
          apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
          Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
          so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libboost-signals1.46.1 libpano13-bin libpano13-2 libboost-regex1.46.1
      libimage-exiftool-perl libzthread-2.3-2
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      gksu*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Purg gksu [2.0.2-6ubuntu1]

Thanks,

Michel
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Mar 13, 2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

That's useful, as it tells me that no other programs on your system depend on gksu. If you had programs that did, they'd be listed with a warning that they'd be removed.

Please run this:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get purge gksu
      And then this, to clean up some other leftover bits that the command in the previous post indicated are hanging around:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get --purge autoremove
      Now, try the same steps from my post #13.

(Also, please place output in CODE tags rather than QUOTE tags. That way, column alignment is preserved, and it's easier to read the output. Thanks.)

Comment

unetbootin launched properly without kdesudo. I will remove kdesudo from the menu command line. thank you for your help. Why was there a conflict with gksu?

Thanks,

Michel

Comment

Not sure why gksu wasn't cooperating.

I haven't yet wrapped my brain around how unetbootin knows how to call kdesudo in the background. I need to do some research on that.

Comment

Interesting and useful discussion. I've been having the same problem in Kubuntu 12.04. (Trying to launch Unetbootin prompts gksu to ask for my password, then it says "incorrect password.") It's not a big deal as I have Ubuntu 12.04 on a separate partition and can switch and use Unetbootin there. But I primarily run Kubuntu these days. Anyway I was browsing the forum looking for some other info and noticed this thread. So, SteveRiley, I simulated the Unetbootin purge as you suggested and got quite a bit more back, with it ending up wanting to purge both gksu and usb-imagewriter. At any rate, after reading through this thread, I opened a terminal and ran "kdesudo unetbootin" and Unetbootin launched perfectly. I just use it once in a while when I want to try something new that's not Ubuntu-based on a netbook I have, but still it's nice to not have to restart and use Ubuntu. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks, guys - I learned something useful from this discussion, too.

Comment

What's especially mystifying is that I've got gksu on another Kubuntu machine (some GNOME program depends on it). When I launch unetbootin from the command line, and then perform the process check as I wrote in post #15, gksu is used instead of kdesudo. But on my machine it all works fine, no additional password prompts. I'm stumped.

Comment

I have been having a lot of gremlins lately. unetbootin, issues with formatting my usb devices, 8 or 9 blank windows on startups, Luckybackup refusing to backup and recently my mouse freezing. Witch leads me to ask do we have issues with 12.04. I ask that because I installed it on my production machine seeking stability and I have been scared recently and having Luckybackup stop working as I need to keep my files backed up "in case" is not helping the jitters.

Michel

Comment

Originally posted by michel View Post
                  I have been having a lot of gremlins lately. unetbootin, issues with formatting my usb devices, 8 or 9 blank windows on startups, Luckybackup refusing to backup and recently my mouse freezing. Witch leads me to ask do we have issues with 12.04. I ask that because I installed it on my production machine seeking stability and I have been scared recently and having Luckybackup stop working as I need to keep my files backed up "in case" is not helping the jitters.

Michel
                  Actually, this Unetbootin thing is about the only problem I've had, and it's really not that serious. Like I said, on my desktop PC I have a separate partition with Ubuntu 12.04, and on that I have Gnome 3 shell running because I don't like Unity much. So Gnome shell is pretty and all in its way and sometimes I get bored and run it a few days. And I check out new live versions of other distros sometimes just out of curiousity and to see if I'm missing anything. But I end up running my Kubuntu 12.04 most of the time because it just works so well and never crashes or gets weird. I have it tricked out with a theme I really like (Glassified with a few modifications) and a wallpaper I made with Krita, and I haven't seen any other distro I like better. I roll my eyes every time I see comments here and there online about Kubuntu not being a good KDE distro because my experience has been just the opposite. I've used it since 10.10 and it seems to have gotten better and better, especially since 11.10, I think. I keep thinking I should go ahead and upgrade to 12.10 to be ready to go to 13.04. I guess I probably will, but Kubuntu 12.04 has been the best distro I've ever used so I kind of hate to part with it.
                  It sounds like, though, that you are having some serious problems, and I'm wondering if it was running well for you for a pretty good while, then the problems showed up, or if they showed up not long after you installed.

Comment

Well, FWIW, 12.04 was the most problematic release I've ever used (10.04 being when I began using Ubuntu). I was perpetually plauged by Launchpad bug 993187. Go take a look at that thing. Something is seriously broken on 12.04 and there appears to be no way to truly isolate the problem. That said, my server runs 12.04 just fine, not a problem at all. Of course, the server has no X, no GUI -- it's a bare command-line install, and the hardware is pretty generic.

Comment

12.04 has been very good to me. All the applications I need were running without a glitch. I managed to overcome samba (not that straight forward to setup) and all was great until maybe a couple of months ago. Now I have these series of issues that are making me nervous. And Steve's comments are making me more so.

I hate upgrading and having to re-install everything. Such a waist of time and bandwidth and so Un-Linux in the sense that Linux should be about "installing and forgetting about it", that's why I when with the lts.

Now I hear 12.04 has forked with a new Kernel and I don't know if I should just wait for some news updates to bring everything back to normal, upgrade 12.04 to the new kernel or simply move on to another version. Steve's perspective would be appreciated.

Michel

Comment

"LTS" does not in any way mean "higher quality" or "more testing." It simply means that the release, as packaged, will be maintained for a longer period of time.

Anecdotally, based on a sample size of one (meaning myself), I've read fewer gripes about 12.10 than 12.04. If 12.04 is problematic for you, I'd urge switching to 12.10. When I did that on my T520, the one constantly crashing on 12.04, the problems evaporated.

Comment

dmeyer's suggestion to move the KDE config files seems to have worked. I will try to stick with lts. I crave stability. Is CentOs an overkill on a laptop?

Thanks,

Michel

Comment

Working...
                          X