This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox doesn't download

For some time, I can't download a file with Firefox. There appears a window for downloading but clicking OK doesn't start one. Could someone help me, please?

Screenshots please. Your explanation wasn't concise enough.

Comment

I'm not sure whether it helps. There you have 3 screen shots:
      1. website with thick arrow to download a file
      2. after clicking the arrow - there appears the download/open dialog box on which I click OK.
      3. the empty download list afterwards

There happens nothing indeed after clicking OK besides the dialog box disappears (as usually).
      Attached Files

Comment

strange indeed,,,,,, dose this happen with all files or just this one website/file ?
        you do still have your Downloads directory dont you ?
        and you do have write permission to the directory correct ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by liquid View Post
          I'm not sure whether it helps. There you have 3 screen shots:
          1. website with thick arrow to download a file
          2. after clicking the arrow - there appears the download/open dialog box on which I click OK.
          3. the empty download list afterwards

There happens nothing indeed after clicking OK besides the dialog box disappears (as usually).
          Ok that helps. So essentially what you are saying is that the File Picker doesn't appear and then as a consequence nothing ends up actually downloading.

Comment

Does this happen with other browsers?

Michel

Comment

@Vinny: this happens with all sites; I have all permissions to Download directory which of course exists.
              @michel: this happens with Firefox; this does not happen with rekonq; I have no other browsers.
              @dmeyer: so how to resolve this?

Thanks all for trying to help

Comment

strange ,,,perhaps your .mozilla is corrupted ,,,,,you could move/rename it and see if the new one that will get created on a restart will solve it.
                close firefox then open a terminal and
                Code:
                mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.old
                then restart firefox and test .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes, that helped. Unfortunately, all bookmarks and settings are lost too. Would you please tell where logins and passwords are stored? I'd like to restore them. I managed to restore bookmarks from recent backup in the .old directory.

Comment

Yes, that helped. Unfortunately, all bookmarks and settings are lost too. Would you please tell where logins and passwords are stored? I'd like to restore them. I managed to restore bookmarks from recent backup in the .old directory.
                    Kwallet should have stored them so they shoud not have disappeared.

Comment

No, it hasn't. I think FF has done it by itself somewhere.

Comment

It's all in various files within Firefox's profile folder ( /home/<user>/.mozilla/firefox/<random characters>.default )

More info - http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...ores-user-data
                        sigpic
                        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

No, it hasn't. I think FF must have stored them internally but I don't know where.

Comment

Ooops, I missed the part where you'd moved the ~/.mozilla folder to ~/.mozilla.old

The files containing your original bookmarks and logins/passwords will now be in ~/.mozilla.old/firefox/<random characters>.default

The files you'll need to look for in the above folder are "places.sqlite" (this stores your bookmarks), "key3.db" and "signons.sqlite" (those 2 files together store your logins & passwords). Once you find them, copy them to the folder ~/.mozilla/firefox/<random characters>.default

If you have any trouble doing that, show me the outputs of the following 2 commands:

Code:
                            ls ~/.mozilla/firefox
                            Code:
                            ls ~/.mozilla.old/firefox
                            then I could tell you the exact commands needed to copy those 3 files from the backed up Firefox profile and into your current, working Firefox profile.
                            Last edited by HalationEffect; Feb 26, 2013, 06:52 PM.
                            sigpic
                            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

That helped. Thanks for all hints.

Comment

Working...
                              X