Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yahoo mail on Firefox - is this the right place? Huh? Ok!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo mail on Firefox - is this the right place? Huh? Ok!

Hi Folks,

I use, as you may have surmised, the Yahoo Mail system via Firefox. Of late Yahoo is getting more and more problematic and I wonder if anyone has had experience of this and . . . (wait for it) what have you done to rectify the problem/s?

I have the adobe flash beta installed via the Flash-Aid plugin (2.2.3) and Firefox is 18.0.2 (Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonical - 1.0).

Things going wrong: Snail pace overall and loading an email gives me time to scratch, yawn, pat the dog, feed the dog, take the dog for a walk!

Any/all advice appreciated.

One last question - why doesn't Yahoo support Linux?
    Last edited by leadwt; Feb 22, 2013, 10:59 AM.
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

The problem is not with Linux but with the new Yahoo mail program. Its garbage. I changed over to Fastmail when they tried to force me to use new Yahoo mail and Im glad I did.

Comment

Originally posted by leadwt View Post
      Hi Folks,

I use, as you may have surmised, the Yahoo Mail system via Firefox. Of late Yahoo is getting more and more problematic and I wonder if anyone has had experience of this and . . . (wait for it) what have you done to rectify the problem/s?

I have the adobe flash beta installed via the Flash-Aid plugin (2.2.3) and Firefox is 18.0.2 (Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonical - 1.0).

Things going wrong: Snail pace overall and loading an email gives me time to scratch, yawn, pat the dog, feed the dog, take the dog for a walk!

Any/all advice appreciated.

One last question - why doesn't Yahoo support Linux?
      I once heard a rumour that if you change your user agent string or whatever its called fixes Yahoo Mail. Give it a try.

Comment

just a FYI ,,,, my wife uses yahoo mail and on her win7 box it is slow as a snail as well ........

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

My biggest complaint about Yahoo mail is that you can't get it via POP3 unless you upgrade your account. They charge $20 for the upgrade. I gave them the $20 many years ago, and when it expired after one year, I did not renew. But I was able to continue to get my email via POP3 through Thunderbird. I'm sure that is a little glitch in their program that forgets to shut you off if you don't renew. I hope they don't read this.

Also Yahoo mail is my biggest source of spam, and Yahoo mail seems to be the favorite target of email hackers.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
            My biggest complaint about Yahoo mail is that you can't get it via POP3 unless you upgrade your account. They charge $20 for the upgrade. I gave them the $20 many years ago, and when it expired after one year, I did not renew. But I was able to continue to get my email via POP3 through Thunderbird. I'm sure that is a little glitch in their program that forgets to shut you off if you don't renew. I hope they don't read this.

Also Yahoo mail is my biggest source of spam, and Yahoo mail seems to be the favorite target of email hackers.
            Pop3!!!! That's the Internet Explorer of email protocols.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              The problem is not with Linux but with the new Yahoo mail program. Its garbage. I changed over to Fastmail when they tried to force me to use new Yahoo mail and Im glad I did.
              Yes I had heard about that and I think it is possible to revert to the prevoius version - but I'm not sure that is much better! I'll check it out.

I've joined Fastmail so just need to read up on all the availbale options. One thing that I like about Yahoo is the option to create disposable addresses. I use these for one-off shopping registrations then once the order is complete delete the address. Works well in that I can track spam and from where it originates - very handy.
              Last edited by leadwt; Feb 21, 2013, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                I once heard a rumour that if you change your user agent string or whatever its called fixes Yahoo Mail. Give it a try.
                Hey thanks but what do you mean?

Comment

Hey thanks but what do you mean?
                  You can use the Firefox add-on "User Agent Switcher" to make Firefox masquerade as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Opera, etc.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...gent-switcher/
                  sigpic
                  "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                  -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Ok so you cannot revert to a previous edition as they believe the current one is the best! Obviously not reading their feedback page!!

I'll try 'User Agent Switcher' next (thanks HalationEffect) and will get back.

Comment

The 'User Agent Switcher' worked so thanks for that.

And . .

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                      I now see what you meant!

Not just a rumour after all. Thanks all.

Comment

The 'User Agent Switcher' worked so thanks for that.

And . .

I now see what you meant!

Not just a rumour after all. Thanks all.
                        Probably Microsoft trying to subtly ruin the experience on any platform that isn't Windows w/ IE,

Comment

Working...
                        X