This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 12.04.2 Update Does Show Up From PPA

I have waited since Kubuntu 12.04.2 was released for it to show up form PPA. It has not and, I have the needed Backports and Precise PPA's in software sources. What gives? Does anyone might know why I am not getting this update? Please help.

? open a terminal and run this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    ,,,,,what happens?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

There is no ppa for this, it is a normal update. If you keep your system up to date you already have it.

The release means that the install image is up to date , so fresh installs are more current and have all the updates.

If you have ppa's going, your KDE may actually be more up to date than 12.04.2

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
      Last edited by claydoh; Feb 18, 2013, 07:32 PM.

Comment

What should the version of KDE be with this update? I can't find any release notes.

Comment

The version shows up in System Information as version 12.04.2 yet, I do not have any of the updates discribed by the release documentation. I have the same 3.2 kernel not the 3.5 version. I tried what vinny said above and, I have the message that says, I have the latest version. What gives?

Comment

No you will not see a major new kernel version in 12.04, 12.10 has the 3.5 kernel, you don't see that in an LTS. Unless you added a ppa to get a newer KDE, I don't think you will see a big update to the desktop. Add I said, if you keep your system up to date, you already have the .2, the release is merely to provide an install image that it's up to date with as LTS is going to be around awhile it keeps new installs from having to be updated as much

Comment

Google is your friend...

According to Canonical, 12.04.2 images ship with 3.5, but you will not get 3.5 using apt-get dist-upgrade unless you enable the "LTS Hardware Enablement Stack." Behold:

In an effort to support a wider variety of hardware on an existing LTS release, the 12.04.2 point release will ship with an updated kernel and X stack by default. This newer hardware enablement stack will be comprised of the kernel and X stack from the Quantal 12.10 release. The hardware enablement stack is only intended for use on x86 hardware at this time. Those running virtual or cloud images should not need this newer hardware enablement stack and thus it is recommended they remain on the original Precise stack. To remain on the original Precise stack, there are a few options:
              • Install from a previous 12.04.0 or 12.04.1 point release and update. The previous 12.04.0 and 12.04.1 releases are archived at http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/
              • Perform an update or upgrade to Precise from a previous Ubuntu release. Only those installing from the 12.04.2 media will automatically receive a newer hardware enablement stack by default.
              • Perform a network install using the netboot images rather than the new quantal-netboot images.

Anyone wishing to opt into the hardware enablement stack for Precise may do so by running following command which will install the linux-generic-lts-quantal and xserver-xorg-lts-quantal packages:
              sudo apt-get install linux-generic-lts-quantal xserver-xorg-lts-quantal

For anyone interested, the specifics regarding the exact policies and procedures regarding the support, maintenance, and upgrade paths for the hardware enablement stack has been documented at the following location:
              https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
              IMO, if you're interested in staying on the "bleeding edge" of kernels, KDE and Xorg - don't stick with the LTS version. The whole point of an LTS release is stability over a longer period of time. It won't be long before you stop seeing many updates other than bug fixes and no upgrading at all. It really makes no sense to hold back on upgrading and then demand an upgrade. I suggest you either relax with the LTS and be happy with what it provides or upgrade every six months and stay current. I do both depending on the machine in question. My server will sit quietly with 12.04 until it makes sense to upgrade - not likely until April 2014, then I'll reevaluate. My desktop will receive the latest and greatest Kubuntu twice a year and maybe another distro or two in-between.
              Last edited by oshunluvr; Feb 19, 2013, 11:08 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you oshunluvr for the info. I am sticking with the LTS as-is. I stuck with it because of the stability. I just wonder why Ubuntu would not give the proper documentation explaining what you just explained from Google. I was lead to believe that this newer version of the LTS would be stable. What is up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Google is your friend...

According to Canonical, 12.04.2 images ship with 3.5, but you will not get 3.5 using apt-get dist-upgrade unless you enable the "LTS Hardware Enablement Stack.".
                  Lol how did I miss that?

Last edited by claydoh; Feb 19, 2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

That quote came from the Ubuntu official wiki pages so it was actually announced by Canonical but I haven't seen it referenced anywhere else.

I agree it's odd that they would "switch horses" mid-stream with an LTS release like that, but I supposed it's related to work-load for the development team. Personally, IMO unless you can find a compelling reason to use the newer kernel and xorg, you might just stay with what you've got just for simplicity sakes.

Another idea: If you're considering the upgrade to the LTS Hardware Enablement Stack, you might download the new ISO and make a bootable USB or CD to test the compatibility with your hardware before you do the upgrade install.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      That quote came from the Ubuntu official wiki pages so it was actually announced by Canonical but I haven't seen it referenced anywhere else.

I agree it's odd that they would "switch horses" mid-stream with an LTS release like that, but I supposed it's related to work-load for the development team. Personally, IMO unless you can find a compelling reason to use the newer kernel and xorg, you might just stay with what you've got just for simplicity sakes.

Another idea: If you're considering the upgrade to the LTS Hardware Enablement Stack, you might download the new ISO and make a bootable USB or CD to test the compatibility with your hardware before you do the upgrade install.
                      I'm using a 64 bit 3.2 system and I'm at lost here! Would moving to 3.5 provide more or less stability? I have posted a thread regarding the many crashes I have been having after the last set of updates, will that be fixed with a move to 3.5? Also is there really a point in remaining with 12.04 and using the 3.5 kernel? Will that be a more stable Quantal?

Michel

Comment

While LTS in Ubuntu is supposed to have more polish and stability, this status is mostly for security updates in the long run and not for software version updates, or at least this has been the case in the past. If you are going to the new kernel and newer KDE, I am not sure keeping to 12.04 is totally worthwhile, outside of security updates from the official channels.

This all is dependent on each individual's system and needs, so testing is required as no one can easily verify any increase in stability for any particular hardware setup. New kernels can have regressions in drivers sometimes. However what I do not see mentioned anywhere is if Xorg and related video drivers will be updated, which is a bit separate from the kernel.

Test driving live disk sessions or actually installing may be the only way to tell, but posting new threads on some of your problems might shed more light especially if you give some system info when you do

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          While LTS in Ubuntu is supposed to have more polish and stability, this status is mostly for security updates in the long run and not for software version updates, or at least this has been the case in the past. If you are going to the new kernel and newer KDE, I am not sure keeping to 12.04 is totally worthwhile, outside of security updates from the official channels.

This all is dependent on each individual's system and needs, so testing is required as no one can easily verify any increase in stability for any particular hardware setup. New kernels can have regressions in drivers sometimes. However what I do not see mentioned anywhere is if Xorg and related video drivers will be updated, which is a bit separate from the kernel.

Test driving live disk sessions or actually installing may be the only way to tell, but posting new threads on some of your problems might shed more light especially if you give some system info when you do
                          Thanks for the advice. I probably will stick to my existing Kernel until there is a clear position on this one here on the Forum. I already posted a thread relating my problems.

Michel

Comment

Working...
                          X