This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdm wont start on its own

I am running kubuntu 12.04.2 and have kde 4.10.0 installed. 50% of the time kdm will load and i will be able to login. the other 50% i have to go to a tty session and force kdm to start. The kernel i am running is 3.5.0-22-generic.

Also i am having the screen saver start up when it is not supposed to, i have it set to 1 minute. but when i dont touch the keyboard and mouse it still starts up and locks my screen.

Need to get this fixed

Please Help

Shawn

LPI level1
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dragonfixed; Feb 26, 2013, 09:23 PM. Reason: updating files

Originally posted by dragonfixed View Post
    I am running kubuntu 12.04.2 and have kde 4.10.0 installed. 50% of the time kdm will load and i will be able to login. the other 50% i have to go to a tty session and force kdm to start. The kernel i am running is 3.5.0-22-generic.
    when you half to start kdm from a tty do you see anything worysome in the text befor it starts ?
    the next time it dose this befor forcing it to start cat some of your log files in /var/log and see if you see anything that looks wrong try typing dmesg and enter first then cat /var/log/syslog then Xorg.0.log

Originally posted by dragonfixed View Post
    Also i am having the screen saver start up when it is not supposed to, i have it set to 1 minute. but when i dont touch the keyboard and mouse it still starts up and locks my screen.
    but this is the expected behavior , after 1 minute of inactivity the screen locker will come on ,,,,,try setting it to 30minutes or disabeling.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I am also having this issue. Two out of five boots have resulted in the command line. I receive no errors when I am presented the login prompt (checked this by hitting CTRL + ALT + F7), it just looks like KDM is not loading. When I login and startx I also receive no errors, the desktop just loads without issue. I am using Kubuntu 12.04.1 fully updated (stock kernel) with KDE 4.10.00 and I am using the ubuntu-updates proprietary nvidia driver. The only real issue with this is if I login to the CLI and startx I can't mount USB drives through KDE (gives me a "you are not authorized... yadda yadda" error). I will continue to monitor the situation and see if I find any other errors I might be missing, but I just wanted to state I also have this problem.

EDIT : Oh, forgot to mention this is only happening on my desktop system. My laptop upgraded to 4.10.00 is unaffected.

EDIT 2 : It happened on my laptop this evening. Still no clues on why yet. Hopefully the KDE 4.10.1 update will resolve this
      Last edited by benny_fletch; Feb 25, 2013, 09:01 PM. Reason: EDIT 2
      Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
      tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Working...
      X