This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panel-Task Bar Startup Issue

I am not sure if this is a KDE issue, a Kubuntu issue or an Nvidia issue but I thought I would ask and see if anyone else has this problem. I did search the forums first for an answer.

This is a fresh install of Kubuntu 12.04, just an FYI.

I moved the task bar from the bottom of the screen to the top and then added an empty task bar (panel) to the bottom of the screen as well. The top panel is the default and contains the menu, sys tray etc.

My issue is, most of the time when I start up the computer, or even when I log out (since I always log in with an empty session) both of the task bars are floating 1/3 of the way down from each edge (top & bottom). They are not fully visible and only appear when the mouse passes over them, then they are a single bright line. If you hover the mouse just right they pop back to their proper places.

I would guesstimate that this happens 80% of the time. I have also tried to have the session saved (log into same session) to see if that matters, but it never has.

Another thing you should know, I used to have Linux Mint 10-64 bit which was built on top of Kubuntu, installed on this same computer and the exact same thing used to happen. This makes me wonder if it might have to do with Nvidia.

So... anyone have this problem? Or a solution? Or even any ideas There are very few things that annoy me about Linux, this is one of them, some persistant bug that I just cannot find any info on. I have searched multiple forums without luck.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
    Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

This was happening to me as well. It started like you but after updating kde and I'm at 4.9.5 it has not happened. I have a Dell e1505 with nvidia.
    Alienware 17 R2
    ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
    Nvidia Graphics
    16 Ram
    Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

not that it should matter but anyway do you have you widgets locked ?

other than that I'm with you on the Nvidia prob guess

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

@eddie, good to know, I was considering updating to 4.9.5. I did that on the netbook and it removed Muon though. I wasn't having the panel issue there though.

@vinny, no widgets on any desktop, but thanks for the guess, I suspect it's nvidia but have no concrete evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by citizen View Post
          @eddie, good to know, I was considering updating to 4.9.5. I did that on the netbook and it removed Muon though. I wasn't having the panel issue there though.

@vinny, no widgets on any desktop, but thanks for the guess, I suspect it's nvidia but have no concrete evidence.
          dosent mater if you have any or not ,,,,,I beleve technically the panel its self is a widget if thar not locked ,,,,lock them and see if it helps ,,,,cant hurt

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well vinny so far that seems to have stopped it from floating around. I logged out and in a few times and restarted and each time it stayed put as it should. I'm going to give it a few days to see if it freaks out again but it seems normal now.

Comment

grrr... just had an update, logged out after update, logged in and we are back to the mysterious floating bars. I may have to upgrade KDE.

Comment

Working...
              X