Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't donwload dolphin add-ons or themes, wallpapers...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't donwload dolphin add-ons or themes, wallpapers...

I'm running Kubuntu 12.04 in VMWare workstation 9 using NAT. I can connect to to internet with firefox and access the files mentioned below.

When trying to get a new service for dolphin I get following error:

loading of providers from file: http://download.kde.org/khotnewstuff...-providers.xml failed
    When trying to download new themes:

loading of providers from file: http://download.kde.org/ocs/providers.xml failed
    There is a proxy but I have configured the proxy in System Settings and the fact that browsing works tells me that it is configured correctly.

Or does dolphin have a separate proxy config? Other ideas?

EDIT:

see https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=228597

You may find this interesting: http://ca.host.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/NAT_and_proxies.php

After reading your post I did some searching myself to see what might be going on, as you noted in your edit it's a known "bug". I think the problem is the same as mentioned on the site I linked having to do with SIP and NAT (it's on another page than the one I linked). Basically the GHNS service doesn't send anything the NAT can use to verify it's the originator of the request, so when the remote server side (kde.org) request another local port be opened to send the info, the NAT blocks it.

You stated that you also have a proxy configured, which is why I linked the page above. A NAT and proxy behave differently. KDE is designed AFAIK to work with and behind a proxy, so I think the whole problem may stem from the NAT. Is it possible with the VM to bypass the NAT and work directly with the proxy? Or perhaps the other way around, do away with the proxy and work only with the NAT?
    Computers don't make mistakes. They only execute them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      You may find this interesting: http://ca.host.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk/NAT_and_proxies.php

After reading your post I did some searching myself to see what might be going on, as you noted in your edit it's a known "bug". I think the problem is the same as mentioned on the site I linked having to do with SIP and NAT (it's on another page than the one I linked). Basically the GHNS service doesn't send anything the NAT can use to verify it's the originator of the request, so when the remote server side (kde.org) request another local port be opened to send the info, the NAT blocks it.

You stated that you also have a proxy configured, which is why I linked the page above. A NAT and proxy behave differently. KDE is designed AFAIK to work with and behind a proxy, so I think the whole problem may stem from the NAT. Is it possible with the VM to bypass the NAT and work directly with the proxy? Or perhaps the other way around, do away with the proxy and work only with the NAT?
      Are you sure about this? because I would assume that most users require stuff to work through NAT due to the fact that any (home/consumer) router does it. I highly doubt that GHNS works this way.

Proxy can't be disabled, it's the "company proxy" and NAT is from my PC (Win 7) to Kubuntu which runs in VMWare.

Comment

No, honestly I'm not sure. As you say, most home routers work through NAT, and a proxy shouldn't be a problem, that's what got me curious and why I searched around. Being networking is really not my thing, I have only basic knowledge on it. It's also why I linked the article, it seems to point to a possible problem because of the different way the two work. My thinking is a browser like Firefox, etc., are programmed to handle a situation like that, there are settings in them you can configure to work with a proxy. And I'm guessing that they can auto-negotiate with a NAT, they're programmed with a "when you see X do Y" kind of thing, where GHNS has no such skill. But it's only a guess. I've never experienced or known of anyone who's experienced this problem before.

I also don't know anyone who's run both a NAT and a proxy, it's usually one or the other. That's why I linked the article and took a stab at what I think might be the problem. It would be great if someone with a lot more networking knowledge would look at this thread and help out. I'd like to know what's going on too, I'm always willing to learn something new.
        Computers don't make mistakes. They only execute them.

Comment

I was having problems connecting to Akonadi resources, Get Hot New Stuff, etc. running Kubuntu 12.10 on my physical machine until I changed the Router settings. My router was using "RouteThroughNAT" setting, but I changed it to "Bridged" out of curiosity and everything started working (at very snappy speeds too). I was not using proxies, however..

Comment

Working...
          X