This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12.04 really unstable for me

Hi all, I upgraded to 12.04 and it's really unstable. The desktop freezes or crashes back to the login screen randomly. Happens after 5~10mins usage. Sometimes only running Chrome or Amarok.

Any ideas? Any logs I should look at? Or should I just upgrade to 12.10?

Thanks.

Post the content of /var/log/dmesg and your setup such as cpu, video card, memory, desktop or laptop. That would be a help. Did you upgrade via cd or usb and did the checksums of your download matches? Are you using proprietry video drivers. 12.04 has been a very stable release on a wide variety of machines so what you are experiencing is very unusual.
    sigpic

Comment

Also test a new user and see if they have the same problems

Comment

Occasionally, upgrades of a previous release to a new release don't go well.

I usually install a new release of Kubuntu when it is Alpha, and ride it through to release. I didn't do that for 12.04. I waited until it was released and installed then installed it because I am going to stay with it until it expires in about four years. By then this laptop may have expired, and so might I.

My experience with it on my previous Acer, which was purchased about the time 12.04 was released was that it was rock solid. When I purchased this Acer V3-771G in August I installed the latest upgrade of 12.04.1 on it and it has been rock solid as well. Perhaps doing a fresh install of the latest binary release will give you the stability you want?
        http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re....04.1/release/
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          ...I waited until it was released and installed then installed it because I am going to stay with it until it expires in about four years. By then this laptop may have expired...
          I didn't know laptops expire!

Comment

Here we go...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 13, 2012, 04:52 PM. Reason: created dmesg_log.txt file for attaching

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
              Also test a new user and see if they have the same problems
              I'll give that a go.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Perhaps doing a fresh install of the latest binary release will give you the stability you want?
                http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re....04.1/release/
                I'm in two minds whether to do that or the upgrade.

Comment

You didn't tell us what version you upgraded from. Also, do you have custom/third-party repositories and/or applications in use/installed?
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    You didn't tell us what version you upgraded from. Also, do you have custom/third-party repositories and/or applications in use/installed?
                    I upgraded from 11.10. No custom repositories I don't think but I'll check.

Another clue: when the desktop freezes I can still move the mouse, but the gui is completely unresponsive.

Comment

did you try adding a new user like @james147 said ?

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        did you try adding a new user like @james147 said ?

VINNY
                        Not yet, but I will try it. I've also just uninstalled the graphics driver and installed another one ('version current' -> 'post-release updates'). Will see how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by type3 View Post
                          Another clue: when the desktop freezes I can still move the mouse, but the gui is completely unresponsive.
                          Just out of curosity, is the keyboard still working? Can you CTL-ALT-Fkey (i.e.: CTL-ALT-F1) to another command line session and login? If so, this will tell you that the underlying system is still running and just X has hosed itself up.

Cheers,
                          Bill
                          sigpic
                          A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Uninstalling and reinstalling the nVidia driver seems to have done the trick! Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                            X