X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apport KDE does not allow access

Hello everybody,

I am new here, but an old-time Linux user: I started with Red Hat 5.1 in 1997.
    Currently I am using Kubuntu 12.04 and it works great for 99%.
    There are a few glitches however that I haven't been able to solve and thet haven't been resolved with updates.
    One glitch is with apport-kde.
    I've tried to get help on the Ubuntu forum on this previously, but to no avail.
    I'll just copy-paste from there and see if anyone here has any thoughts on this:

"If an application crashes on my system (for instance nvclock_qt will segfault every time, yofrankie-bge) I get a nice dialog about filing bugs, but it always ends with a dialog:

Code:
    Invalid problem report - Apport KDE

You are not allowed to access this problem report.
    Anything I should change in my setup or just a bug in KDE?"

I find this strange that this happens on a new install, out of the box, no modifications made and yet I seem to be the only complaining of this.
    (Then again, my computers and I have a very close relation with Mr Murphy. If a bug can exist, it will manifest itself on my systems. Maybe I should become a professional beta-tester)

I haven't had apport installed in ages, but judging by the error message it seems to be a permissions problem:

To my knowledge, apport needs admin privileges to gather necessary data from your system for the bug report and uses polkit (policykit) to get those privileges, and my guess is it fails doing that.

Of course that doesn't help much in solving the problem as the problem could be in apport-kde, polkit-kde or policykit configuration. (Again, I'm not familiar with apport, but it probably should prompt a polkit authentication dialog if it needs admin rights).

Maybe someone who has used apport recently can confirm the issue, that should be a start for troubleshooting.

Comment

Humm it works for me on 12.04

the packages I see installed when I do a search for apport are apport,python-apport,apport-kde,apport-symptoms,apport-hooks-medibuntu,kubuntu-notification-helper,

see if you have those and go from their.

and to get any useful info from the crash report you will need to have the .dbg packages installed for whatever is crashing ,,,,,so first crash will tell you whats crashing then install the debug package for it then if/when it crashes again you can generate a useful crash report

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
      X