This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exFat with 12.10?

I wanted to purchase a Sandisk 64 gig Class 10 microsd card for my Nokia 808 but I was wondering will Kubuntu 12.10 be able to interact with it since it uses exFat format?

Any Advice/Experience/Tips?

I believe that ExFAT was made to stop people from using FAT. It's proprietary to Microsoft ATM near as I can tell.

exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) is aproprietary file system designed especially for flash drives[3]developed by Microsoft, which has applied for patent protection[1].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT
    GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

It should be possible, according to this web page: http://www.techlw.com/2012/09/how-to...system-on.html
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

My Sandisk class 10 works fine with linux... not sure if it's exFAT though as I no longer have the packaging. It is also really fast using a USB3 card reader

Comment

That didn't take very long! I thought that Microsoft had it tied down tighter than that. This is really good news because I understand a lot of camera manufacturers are going with ExFAT.
          GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

While such devices might use exFAT as their default file system if you format the card in the device, I'd wager that they still read and write the other FAT varieties. So perhaps it's a good habit to start using fdisk to create the partition table and mkdosfs -F 32 to create a FAT-32 file system.

Comment

You can use exFAT. There is a FUSE module with full read-write capabilities. It might only be Beta software but its never failed me, lead to any corruption or given me basically any issue.

A PPA: https://launchpad.net/~relan/+archive/exfat

You must remember that although they can tie it down with patents, patents can't be used to restrict certain implementations such as for compatibility in some jurisdictions e.g. Canada. So a FOSS implementation is doable but licensing fees can be applied to any commercial use of the format. I'm explaining this really badly and probably not quite right but as a whole their can be a linux driver as long as it isn't commercial and it is available to us.

Comment

I suspect you are explaining it well enough. Thanks.

Comment

I got my card and turns out Kubuntu didn't want to deal with it.

So I added the ppa and installed the fuse packages. Presto seems to be working great so far! Thnx guys! woot!

ps the guys web page said I had to use shell commands to creat a folder, mount and unmount but it just worked plug N play for me.

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post
                    ps the guys web page said I had to use shell commands to creat a folder, mount and unmount but it just worked plug N play for me.
                    Like this?

Code:
                    sudo mkdir /mnt/memcard
                    sudo mount /dev/sd[I]XN[/I] /mnt/memcard

--- do some stuff ---

sudo umount /mnt/memcard
                    That'll grow hair on your palms and make you go blind. You don't want that.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                      Like this?

Code:
                      sudo mkdir /mnt/memcard
                      sudo mount /dev/sd[I]XN[/I] /mnt/memcard

--- do some stuff ---

sudo umount /mnt/memcard
                      That'll grow hair on your palms and make you go blind. You don't want that.
                      You forgot
                      Code:
                      rmdir /mnt/memcard
                      Don't want to be leaving those mount point lying around now do we

Though these days I tend to just do
                      Code:
                      udisks --mount /dev/sdXY
                      --- do stuff ---
                      udisks --unmount /dev/sdXY
                      as it handles creating the directory for you

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                        Don't want to be leaving those mount point lying around now do we
                        I don't mind dangling mount points like these, because they're sure to be reused. It's a matter of convenience, that's all.

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                        Though these days I tend to just do [udisks-foo] as it handles creating the directory for you
                        Slick! I always forget about that command. Your palms must be hairier than mine.

Comment

All I had to do was add the repo, update and install the fuse exfat parts. From there it all worked automagically and hair free. :P

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:relan/exfat
                          sudo apt-get update
                          sudo apt-get install fuse fuse-exfat exfat-utils

ps. this worked with 12.10 and I realized I posted in the wrong forum... oops :O
                          Last edited by wrender; Dec 06, 2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            Your palms must be hairier than mine.
                            Nah, I did

Code:
                            export E=/etc/cron.hourly/palm-dehairer; echo 'find /palms -iname "*hair*" -delete' | sudo tee -a ${E} &> /dev/null && sudo chmod +x ${E}
                            I along time ago to fix that problem
                            Last edited by james147; Dec 06, 2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

LOL. Running that bit of CLI-foo just brings it all back, but in other places.

Comment

Working...
                              X