This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typing in Konsole

Hi, I'd like to know if it's possible to change settings of Konsole so typing and clearing text would be smooth as they are in Backtrack distro? Thanks

not fuly understanding the question ,,,,could you elaborate

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

For example, when I try to delete some text in Kubuntu (hold backspace), it first halts for a bit and then goes, similar thing when I'm typing something. Try it both in Backtrack and Kubuntu and I believe you will notice the difference.

Comment

Sounds like you want to reduce the setting for the amount of initial delay on the keyboard repeat function.

You can find the setting here: System Settings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard (under the Hardware tab).
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

strange when you say "halts for a bit" how long is your "bit" @ hear it is about 2 nano seconds or if I blink it's halfway across the screen ?

but I will check in BT in a wile (hour or so )

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            strange when you say "halts for a bit" how long is your "bit" @ hear it is about 2 nano seconds or if I blink it's halfway across the screen ?
            The default delay for keyboard repeat on my system is 660 ms. I wonder if Backtrack uses a lower default value.
            sigpic
            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
              Sounds like you want to reduce the setting for the amount of initial delay on the keyboard repeat function.

You can find the setting here: System Settings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard (under the Hardware tab).
              O yes that is no doubt the one @trulex wants

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

That sounds like the character repeat delay being shorter on backtrack, You should be able to change it in the keyboard settings in system settings, but it might also be useful to learn some short-cuts of bash if you are really worried about a few micro second delay like that such as:

Ctrl+U - Clear to the beginning of the line (quicker then pressing backspace repeatedly)
                Ctrl+K - Clear to the end of the line
                Ctrl+W - Delete the previous word
                Ctrl+L - Clear the screen
                Ctrl+A - Go to the start of the line
                Ctrl+E - Go to the end of the line

Comment

The default delay for keyboard repeat on my system is 660 ms. I wonder if Backtrack uses a lower default value.
                  yes same hear ......I will check BT and see in a wile (yup same hour or so )

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                    That sounds like the character repeat delay being shorter on backtrack, You should be able to change it in the keyboard settings in system settings, but it might also be useful to learn some short-cuts of bash if you are really worried about a few micro second delay like that such as:

Ctrl+U - Clear to the beginning of the line (quicker then pressing backspace repeatedly)
                    MMmmmmm nice ones .....I new the Ctrl+L one and new the rest and more exist but not by hart better go read my rute book some more

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

This is exactly what I was looking for. Surprisingly, the delay in BT was the same as in Kubuntu, but the difference was noticeable. What could be the reason for that?

Originally posted by james147 View Post

Thanks, this will help me a lot.

Comment

yes the character repeat delay in BT is the same ,,,but I did not notice any difference ,I am in BT now by the way VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by trulex View Post
                          This is exactly what I was looking for. Surprisingly, the delay in BT was the same as in Kubuntu, but the difference was noticeable. What could be the reason for that?
                          Hmm, that's just odd. Consider me baffled!
                          sigpic
                          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                          X