This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hide lost+found Folders?

Is there a way to hide lost+found folders on my drives so they only appear in Dolphin when I choose to show hidden files/folders?
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Unfortunately not easily (if at all), the lost+found folder is used by ext's fsck program to dump files and folders it finds that aren't referenced anywhere and from what I know it is a hard coded value.

The only simple way to hide a file/folder in linux is to rename it with the . prefix (ie ".lost+found")... but fsck.ext does not look for ".lost+found" so assumes it doesn't exist.

You could delete the folder, but then I do not know what fsck.ext does when it finds a non referenced file/folder (it could just delete them, ignore them or it could recreate the lost+found folder I am not sure on this).

There might be a way to do it, but I doubt it will be trivial.

Comment

Deleting it shouldn't be an issue, however; fsck will probably recreate it when you reboot or run it. fsck is usally at the root of a partition so you really shouldn't see it popping everywhere.

To demonstrate. I have three partitions all running ext4: /, /home, /other. I should have three lost+found programs located at /lost+found/,/home/lost+found, /other/lost+found. You shouldn't see any more than that.

So in other words, it shouldn't be so inconvenient that it bugs you bug it is safe to delete. If you have them popping up everywhere then just delete them. The directories as james147 pointed are somewhat hardcoded into memory with allocations of some kind so you can't recreate them with mkdir. You have to use mklost+found.

Hope that's enough!

Comment

man mklost+found
        DESCRIPTION
        mklost+found is used to create a lost+found directory in the current
        working directory on a Linux second extended file system. There is
        normally a lost+found directory in the root directory of each filesys‐
        tem.

mklost+found pre-allocates disk blocks to the lost+found directory so
        that when e2fsck(8) is being run to recover a filesystem, it does not
        need to allocate blocks in the filesystem to store a large number of
        unlinked files. This ensures that e2fsck will not have to allocate
        data blocks in the filesystem during recovery.

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am familiar with what it does. That's why I asked for a way to hide it, not delete it, and yes from my research it will be regenerate automaticly when fsck is run.
          Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Well I don't know of a way to hide them specifically. Just delete them if you don't want to see them.

The reason I gave that long windy explanation is that I wanted to explain that you can delete them and point out that the folder shouldn't be very prolific.

Comment

@hear their is only the lost+found in the root of each file system ,, their is none in /home/vinny just / & /home ,,,/home is a seperat partition and why it has one .

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Some file managers (like gnome's nautilus, for example) support hiding directories with a ".hidden" file which is a list of files/directories that should be hidden (similar to dotfiles)...so you could create a .hidden file in the same directory as the lost+found directory and put 'lost+found' in the .hidden file to effectively hide the lost+found directory.

Unfortunately, Dolphin doesn't support that. Personally, I'd prefer a way to hide certain files in dolphin with regexes (so you could go to dolphin settings and hide things you don't normally need to see, like ~backups etc., as the .hidden approach is a tad clumsy...probably why it hasn't been implemented in dolphin).

You could also use a filesystem that doesn't "need" a lost+found directory (like xfs), but that's of course a somewhat impractical solution for a "small" problem.

Comment

Personally, I don't see what is so clumsy about the .hidden file method. I tried that already had was disappointed to see it didn't work in Dolphin.

Personally, I think the Windows method is quite practical in terms of a simple gui solution. I don't care if a solution is cli or gui based in this case.

Comment

I'm confused. Creating/using 'dotted' files and/or folders (hidden files/folders) works in Dolphin. Why are you both saying it doesn't?
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      I'm confused. Creating/using 'dotted' files and/or folders (hidden files/folders) works in Dolphin. Why are you both saying it doesn't?
                      Read Kubicle's post. I didn't say 'dotted' files do not work. They do. The .hidden file does not(nautilus method).

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
                        Personally, I don't see what is so clumsy about the .hidden file method. I tried that already had was disappointed to see it didn't work in Dolphin.
                        Well it wouldn't be terribly clumsy in the case that all you want to do is hide a few lost+found directories (and it would certainly be better than nothing), but it isn't that good if you wish to hide many files or directories (as you would need to create/manage a lot of .hidden files)...or hide all *.tmp files across a whole file system, for example. It would IMO be a better solution if you could tell dolphin to hide all lost+found directories and/or all temp files or .xxx files etc. the "hide-mask regexes" could be stored in dolphin config file to not add cruft to the file system (like a thousand .hidden files).

@snowhog:
                        Like Xplorer4x4 mentioned, I wasn't talking about dot-files, the ".hidden" file is a method to hide files/directories that aren't dotfiles (and isn't supported in dolphin).

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                          It would IMO be a better solution if you could tell dolphin to hide all lost+found directories and/or all temp files or .xxx files etc. the "hide-mask regexes" could be stored in dolphin config file to not add cruft to the file system (like a thousand .hidden files)..
                          That sounds like a feature request

Comment

Working...
                          X