Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Using Luckbackup - Why did it delete source data?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Using Luckbackup - Why did it delete source data?

Last time I tried to use luckybackup, it deleted files on the source location, and it didn't even back up half the data. It backed up alot of folders but I don't think it actually recursed. I need to do a lot of data migration this weekend, so I think using rsync through luckbackup is the best option. I am just worried about deleting the source data as I want to do that manually AFTER verifying the data has been transfered properly. I tried looking through the manual but it mentions nothing about deleting data from the source. I am guessing I used some bad combination of commands. In this case luckybackup reports the rsync cli is:
    Code:
    rsync -h --progress --stats -r -tgo -p -l -D --update --exclude=**/*tmp*/ --exclude=**/*cache*/ --exclude=**/*Cache*/ --exclude=**~ --exclude=/mnt/*/** --exclude=/media/*/** --exclude=**/lost+found*/ --exclude=/var/** --exclude=/proc/** --exclude=/dev/** --exclude=/sys/** --exclude=**/*Trash*/ --exclude=**/*trash*/ /media/WD3 /media/WD3TB/
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
    -r -tgo -p -l -D[/CODE]
    Can be simplified to
    Code:
    -a, --archive               archive mode; equals -rlptgoD (no -H,-A,-X)
    I tend to use
    Code:
    -P                          same as --partial --progress
    Which means you don't need --progress and it allows larger files to be resumed quicker if the process is interrupted.

I have never had rsync delete source data... could be that something else triggered and deleted the data?

It does have the following option, but you are clearly not using it...
    Code:
                --remove-source-files   sender removes synchronized files (non-dir)
    Also as a side note, the trailing / on the source is important as it has a specific meaning:
    Code:
           A  trailing  slash on the source changes this behavior to avoid creating an additional directory level at the destination.
           You can think of a trailing / on a source as meaning "copy the contents of this directory" as opposed to "copy the  direc‐
           tory by name", but in both cases the attributes of the containing directory are transferred to the containing directory on
           the destination.  In other words, each of the following commands copies the files in the same way, including their setting
           of the attributes of /dest/foo:

rsync -av /src/foo /dest
                  rsync -av /src/foo/ /dest/foo

Comment

Thanks for the tips James, but I am not using rsync directly. Yes I realize luckybackup seems to just be a gui for rsync, but imo it is worth noting with regards to the source data being deleted. Could something else be the culprit? Very unlikely. It happened right after getting done using luckybackup once(note I was not using the same command as above, well I should say I can not verify that it was the same options as my op). The likely hood of me doing something something else extremely ignorant such as cd / && sudo rm -fr * is unlikely. Plus the root file structure was intact as was Kubuntu itself. It actually just seemed to have deleted every single user installed application(and it's corresponding files) on my system. I suspected that I had checked something obvious in luckybackup that triggered this, but nothing in the gui says to me "clicking this adds the '--remove-source-files' option to the command line.
      Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Code:
        rsync -h --progress --stats -r -tgo -p -l -D --exclude=**/*tmp*/ --exclude=**/*cache*/ --exclude=**/*Cache*/ --exclude=**~ --exclude=/mnt/*/** --exclude=/media/*/** --exclude=**/lost+found*/ --exclude=**/*Trash*/ --exclude=**/*trash*/ / /media/WD3/~Kubuntu/xplorer4x4-backup/
        I am trying to back up my boot drive. When it hits the proc folder, it starts trying to back up huge amounts of data over 100GB, but yet my boot drive only holds about 12GB worth of data. I am trying to make a back up before upgrading to Quantal.

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
          Code:
          rsync -h --progress --stats -r -tgo -p -l -D --exclude=**/*tmp*/ --exclude=**/*cache*/ --exclude=**/*Cache*/ --exclude=**~ --exclude=/mnt/*/** --exclude=/media/*/** --exclude=**/lost+found*/ --exclude=**/*Trash*/ --exclude=**/*trash*/ / /media/WD3/~Kubuntu/xplorer4x4-backup/
          I am trying to back up my boot drive. When it hits the proc folder, it starts trying to back up huge amounts of data over 100GB, but yet my boot drive only holds about 12GB worth of data. I am trying to make a back up before upgrading to Quantal.
          Don't backup the /proc folder, it is a special mount location like /dev or /sys or /run (it exists in memory only). You should be able to tell luckybackup to skip system folders like these.

Comment

var, dev, proc, and sys are all safe to skip?

Ok ignore that...was in a hurry, didn't read carefully.
            Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Nov 12, 2012, 04:36 PM.

Comment

not var, you should back that one up

Comment

Working...
              X