This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems Cloning/Creating New Partition in KDE Partition Editor

Just got a new 3TB HDD(using GPT partition table format), and I need to clone an existing HDD to format from NTFS to EXT4, then reimaging the newly formated drive, then clone another existing but dieing HDD. So I launch the KDE Partition Manager. I right click on the partition table lay out for the source drive, and click copy. I then right click on the new 3TB HDD which shows as unallocated now, and click paste. Then I get an error after say minute. Using KDE Partition Manager Version 1.0.3 the error is:

Code:
    Copy partition ‘/dev/sdb1’ (1.82 TiB, ntfs) to unallocated space (starting at 31.50 KiB) on ‘/dev/sda’ and grow it to 2.73 TiB 
    Job: Check file system on partition ‘/dev/sdb1’ 
    Command: ntfsresize -P -i -f -v /dev/sdb1 
    ntfsresize v2012.1.15AR.1 (libntfs-3g)
    Device name        : /dev/sdb1
    NTFS volume version: 3.1
    Cluster size       : 4096 bytes
    Current volume size: 2000396743168 bytes (2000397 MB)
    Current device size: 2000396746752 bytes (2000397 MB)
    Checking for bad sectors ...
    Checking filesystem consistency ...
    Accounting clusters ...
    Space in use       : 1872462 MB (93.6%)
    Collecting resizing constraints ...
    Estimating smallest shrunken size supported ...
    File feature         Last used at      By inode
    $MFT               :   1826562 MB             0
    Multi-Record       :   1883194 MB         24058
    $MFTMirr           :         1 MB             1
    Sparse             :   1821866 MB         15861
    Ordinary           :   2000397 MB          3258
    You might resize at 1872461049856 bytes or 1872462 MB (freeing 127935 MB).
    Please make a test run using both the -n and -s options before real resizing! 
    Check file system on partition ‘/dev/sdb1’: Success

Job: Create new partition ‘Copy of /dev/sda1’ 
    Failed to add partition ‘Copy of /dev/sda1’ to device ‘/dev/sda’. 
    Create new partition ‘Copy of /dev/sda1’: Error

Creating target partition for copying failed. 
    Copy partition ‘/dev/sdb1’ (1.82 TiB, ntfs) to unallocated space (starting at 31.50 KiB) on ‘/dev/sda’ and grow it to 2.73 TiB: Error
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

I don't know a lot about GPT but I suspect that you can't image a disk/partition to unallocated space. It needs to be a partition the same size or larger.
    GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
      I don't know a lot about GPT but I suspect that you can't image a disk/partition to unallocated space. It needs to be a partition the same size or larger.
      The paste option does not appear if the partition is already using ext,and when I tried to copy and paste the first time, that's actually when it unallocated the space. I had already formated to ext4 via Partition Magic. Speaking of PM, it seemed to work fine, but with KDE PE I can't even create an ext partiion on the allocated space because it fails.
      Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

"ext4" is not a partition format, It's a filesystem. I think luckyone is suggesting you create a partition prior to the copy operation, but do so without putting a filesystem on it. You should be able to do it with the partition manager, but if not - use gdisk if you're using GPT formatting or fdisk if not.

However, according to the KDE Partition Manager handbook copy should work into unallocated space. I do not believe it will change ntfs to ext4 during the copy operation.

With all the cloning, converting and back-and-forth you've got planned you're in for a long weekend. Good luck.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          "ext4" is not a partition format, It's a filesystem.
          Sorry still waking up. I think it is clear what I have done despite the misuse in terms.

I think luckyone is suggesting you create a partition prior to the copy operation, but do so without putting a filesystem on it. You should be able to do it with the partition manager, but if not - use gdisk if you're using GPT formatting or fdisk if not.
          This is what I am doing already. As I said, the disk is using GPT, but is unallocated. When I hit paste on the unallocated space, I get an error shortly after that. As for gdisk, can't say I feel like messing with cli on this. Generally I don't mind cli but in this case, I am just trying to get the ball rolling on a LONG hill.

However, according to the KDE Partition Manager handbook copy should work into unallocated space. I do not believe it will change ntfs to ext4 during the copy operation.
          It does change to NTFS. As I said, the partition was ext4 and after initiating the initial paste, it decided to wipe out the ext4 file system. This is why it is unallocated atm. I can't get the 3TB to accept a file system if I wanted due to the error in the OP.

With all the cloning, converting and back-and-forth you've got planned you're in for a long weekend. Good luck.
          Yeah, I figured, but in the end it will be worth it to ditch NTFS.

EDIT: I have decided to simply use luckybackup to rsync the data rather then mess with cloneing.
          Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Nov 09, 2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X