This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kopete crash!

Kopete crashes when ever I delete a contact. Apparently a common problem. I believe I have found a patch but I am not sure how to install it.

http://websvn.kde.org/?revision=1322413&view=revision

Can any kind soul shed some light on the subject?
    Last edited by Wallace; Nov 05, 2012, 12:22 AM.

file a bug on launchpad against kopete, and link the patch and to the upstream bug report ( https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=229996 ) there. The patch is an edit or addition to the source code, which has to be inserted into the sources, and then compiled.

Actually you should link to this revision, as the one you linked is specifically for the trunk (latest bleeding edge code):
    http://websvn.kde.org/?revision=1322414&view=revision
    this one is in the 4.9 branch of the code

I wonder if this isn't fixed in 4.9.3 when it is released.

Comment

The bug report exists already:
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...k/+bug/1072785

Which kde version are you using in precise? kde 4.9.2 from ppa?

The fix should be in quantal/raring 4.9.2

And yes, the fix will be in 4.9.3 as well

Comment

Ya I'm running KDE 4.9.2 from the backports. At the bottom of the bug report it reads "the bug was fixed in the package kdenetwork - 4:4.9.2-0ubuntu3" which I upgraded but still having same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallace View Post
          "the bug was fixed in the package kdenetwork - 4:4.9.2-0ubuntu3"
          That means it is fixed in the kdenetwork source package upload. The kdenetwork source package is spliced to several binary packages when built, including (but not limited to) kdenetwork (just a metapackage), kopete and libkopete4.

So you would need to install 'kopete-4:4.9.2-0ubuntu3' and 'libkopete4-4:4.9.2-0ubuntu3' which are currently only available for the development version (raring ringtail). If you need the fix immediately, you could try installing/upgrading kopete from the raring repos, since you are using 4.9.2 in your precise version and there shouldn't be any major library version conflicts. The fix will also be in 4.9.3, but I don't know whether that will be backported to precise ppa.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
            The fix will also be in 4.9.3, but I don't know whether that will be backported to precise ppa.
            Seems it is: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-plas...d-platform-493

Comment

Sorry Kubicle but I'm not seeing anything here...not sure what I'm missing. But I presume what your telling me is good news and just sit tight as 4.9.3 will be backported for Precise with a fix..correct?

Comment

Sorry Kubicle but I'm not seeing anything here...not sure what I'm missing. But I presume what your telling me is good news and just sit tight as 4.9.3 will be backported for Precise with a fix..correct?
                The announcement of KDE 4.9.3 for Kubuntu 12.10 & 12.04 was posted on kubuntu.org eariler today, but since then it has been removed. So yes, just sit tight, it should be available soon. And hopefully it will fix your issue.
                Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Packages are currently building, so they are on the way, but the queue seems to be moving slowly right now.

Comment

The KDE Project announced today the immediate availability for download of the third maintenance release of KDE Software Compilation 4.9. Normally how long does it take before Kubuntu backports has it available?

Comment

Normally how long does it take before Kubuntu backports has it available?
                      That depends. Using Precise as a example, KDE 4.9.1 was released in backports seven days after the official KDE announcement, where as 4.9.2 was released only a day later. So, like I said before, it depends. Although, the updates shouldn't be too long.

EDIT
                      KDE 4.9.3 for Kubuntu 12.10 and Raring
                      http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.9.3

Side note, does this mean the updates will not be made available for Precise users? I have been extremely happy with 4.9.2, so don't take this as a complaint or anything, I was just wondering.
                      Last edited by benny_fletch; Nov 07, 2012, 12:11 PM. Reason: Added Announcement
                      tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

It may well be, but I imagine not as quickly as for Quantal. As it is also LTS, after some time it could possibly make it into the official repos if it is well tested and deemed stable.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          It may well be, but I imagine not as quickly as for Quantal. As it is also LTS, after some time it could possibly make it into the official repos if it is well tested and deemed stable.
                          Thanks for the reply. In another thread* OneLine suggested Precise probably will not get this update (although he wasn't sure). The links he provided me (unless I read them wrong) referred to not having 4.9 in Precise at all, but since it did make it into the 12.04 backports I will hold out hope we still might get to see 4.9.3 (and possibly 4.9.4) for Precise. I am thankful and appreciative that kubuntu's developers were gracious enough to provide 4.9 in 12.04 at all, so I don't want anyone to thing I am not. Also, I am only barely aware of the time and effort it takes to roll these packages for old releases (I know the process, but never have had the courage or time to do it). Although, my rational for holding out hope for these bugfix releases is this, if Precise has KDE 4.9 in its backports repositories wouldn't it better down the line to have the the final release of 4.9 available for install (i.e 4.9.4 vs. 4.9.2). After December no one would ever have to worry about maintaining the KDE packages, since that will be the final release from KDE as they move to 4.10. Also, I am under no delusions of ever seeing 4.10 in Precise, since I know it will not happen. Again, just thinking out load here and don't want to come across ungrateful (because I am not). Thanks again for the reply claydoh.

Also, I will stop hijacking this thread now... my apologies.

* - http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post314470
                          Last edited by benny_fletch; Nov 07, 2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

No disrespect, but the way I understand it is that LTS (12.04) means that bug fixes and security updates will be provided for 5 years..correct? But if 4.9.3 is not backported then I basically have to upgrade an otherwise perfectly working system to a newer version (12.10/13.04) because of a bug in one application? As far as I can tell there will be no fix for Kopete crashing in 4.9.2, never mind the original 4.8.4.

Comment

No disrespect, but the way I understand it is that LTS (12.04) means that bug fixes and security updates will be provided for 5 years..correct? But if 4.9.3 is not backported then I basically have to upgrade an otherwise perfectly working system to a newer version (12.10/13.04) because of a bug in one application? As far as I can tell there will be no fix for Kopete crashing in 4.9.2, never mind the original 4.8.4.
                              You'll get security fixes for 5 years on LTS...and some bug fixes as well...but the LTS doesn't extend to backports or ppas. If you install KDE 4.9 from backports ppa you are installing unsupported packages which are not part of the LTS.

You can expect security (and bug) fixes for KDE 4.8 (which is what the LTS released with), but there are no guarantees for unsupported upgrades. Of course the devs try to bring the best experience with ppa upgrades as well, but these are of lower priority than getting things working in the main repos and in the devel version.

I suggest you wait out for a bit, the 4.9.3 packages for precise ppa are in the works as far as I can tell (they seem to be in staging, with a few build issues).

Comment

Working...
                              X