X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Login option missing on 12.04!

Hi all!

Okay, so I screwed up a little.

I wanted to remove the Kmail client as I prefer Thunderbird. However, in my ignorance I also removed KMailService, which is the core shared data for all KDE applications (realized this too late!).

This messed up the KDE login and gave me an error message when trying to log in to Kubuntu.
    So I logged in to the Unity desktop and re-installed KMailService from Ubuntu Software Center. Successfully.
    However, after having rebooted my system, I found the KDE option at Login missing.

I LOVE the Plasma desktop and really want it back!

I am aware of this option:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    but this requires a 270Mib download.

Can someone help me recover my KDE desktop without having to download and re-install it?

Wayne

Sounds like your removal process actually deleted much of Kubuntu. So you will either need to let the download proceed, or reinstall from some other source.

Comment

I feared that response. But coming from you, I guess that's pretty much my only option. Thank you.

Just wonder...will I have to download and re-install all the software I had as well?

Comment

Possibly not... most likely, your applications and your configuration directories were untouched by the removal. If you don't mind, please copy the contents of the file /var/log/apt/history.log to a new page at http://paste.kde.org and reply here with the URL. I'll take a look and evaluate the extent of your "oops."

Comment

Thank you Steve. Here it is:

~/paste/585278

I didn't enter a password.

Comment

it would appear as though you did indeed remove about all of KDE (look at lines 47,48,49 from your paste.kde.org)you should start with the
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
            and go from their ,,, or/and wait for @SteveRiley to suggest a different route!! (he is quite good ) but I suspect he will concur .

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yep, your Kubuntu desktop is wiped out -- but only that, and not your applications. So you will need to run the suggested command while online to reinstall KDE and Plasma.

Comment

Did that. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                X