X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Activity switching command/program?

Hello all,

Does anyone know of a command or program that can be used to switch from one activity to another? I want to map it to magick-rotation on my Thinkpad X230T, so that when I flip the screen around to tablet mode I switch activities.

Jason

I suspect that it could probably be done with a dbus call. This might be of interest.

Comment

There's a plasma widget called Activity Bar, maybe see if that is any use.

Comment

I know that meta(windows key)+tab will toggle between the desktop and my 1 activity , if it will toggle through multiple activity's I do not know.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          I know that meta(windows key)+tab will toggle between the desktop and my 1 activity , if it will toggle through multiple activity's I do not know.

VINNY
          Meta+tab switches to the next activity, like alt+tab for windows.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
            I suspect that it could probably be done with a dbus call. This might be of interest.
            Success! Tis is exactly what I was looking for. I bound this command to magick-rotation and it worked like a charm:
            Code:
            qdbus org.kde.kglobalaccel /component/plasma_desktop invokeShortcut "Next Activity"
            Jason

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
              Meta+tab switches to the next activity, like alt+tab for windows.
              perhaps,,,,,,,but if I am on any one of my 4 desktops and hit meta+tab it switches from my desktop to my activity or from my activity to the desktop I was on.

anyway the OP seams to have found his solution

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                perhaps,,,,,,,but if I am on any one of my 4 desktops and hit meta+tab it switches from my desktop to my activity or from my activity to the desktop I was on.

anyway the OP seams to have found his solution

VINNY
                Each activity can have multiple desktops and they do remember which desktop you where on when you switch away from and back to them.

Comment

Well, this was working great for a while.

Success! This is exactly what I was looking for. I bound this command to magick-rotation and it worked like a charm:
                  Code:
                  qdbus org.kde.kglobalaccel /component/plasma_desktop invokeShortcut "Next Activity"
                  But now, whenever I shut down and start up again, the last quotation mark is lopped off of the bound command and nothing happens when I rotate the screen. Any ideas what may be causing this?

Regards,
                  Jason
                  Last edited by jpc2769; Jan 01, 2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I don't see why in this case it would matter, but generally speaking double-quotes are used to enclose variables or for shell expansion, whereas single-quotes are used to pass strings as-is. Try using single-quotes and see if it survives a restart.
                    Computers don't make mistakes. They only execute them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      I don't see why in this case it would matter, but generally speaking double-quotes are used to enclose variables or for shell expansion, whereas single-quotes are used to pass strings as-is. Try using single-quotes and see if it survives a restart.
                      That worked. I have no idea why, but it worked. Thanks for the help.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                      X