X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More trouble with KTorrent

The "ktorrent" package could not be marked for installation or upgrade:
    Depends: ktorrent-data (=4.1.3-1ubuntu1), but 4.2.0-1~yuuki2 is to be installed.

I removed KTorrent because it was doing some really strange things. Tried to reinstall and received the above error message. Can anyone shed some light? I've been running KDE 4.9.2 from the back ports could this be the problem?

Edit: removed KTorrentdata and then was able to reinstall, but now i get the error :KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/ktorrent' I get the feeling I've caused some serious damage here.
    Last edited by Wallace; Oct 22, 2012, 09:33 AM.

i give up on backports and it is impossible to downgrade when u set backports.
    lts and ktorrent works great. i still didn't find how to change order of download manually.

Comment

I suspect that the "yuuki2" version is coming from a PPA someplace. What's the output of
      Code:
      apt-cache policy ktorrent-data

Comment

wallace@wallace-den:~$ apt-cache policy ktorrent-data
        ktorrent-data:
        Installed: 4.1.3-1ubuntu1
        Candidate: 4.1.3-1ubuntu1
        Version table:
        *** 4.1.3-1ubuntu1 0
        500 http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/ubuntu/ precise/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

wallace@wallace-den:~$ ktorrent
        ktorrent: error while loading shared libraries: libktorrent.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
        Last edited by Wallace; Oct 22, 2012, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I've just decided to delete it (sudo apt-get remove ktorrent --purge) and use another client. Will deleting KTorrent cause any system-wide problems?

Comment

Simulate the purge:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get purge --simulate ktorrent
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

sudo apt-get install ktorrent ( since I had already - sudo apt-get remove ktorrent --purge)

then:

sudo apt-get purge --simulate ktorrent
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              The following packages will be REMOVED:
              ktorrent*
              0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
              Purg ktorrent [4.1.3-1ubuntu1]

Will this work since I re-installed ktorrent first?

Thank you!
              Last edited by Wallace; Oct 23, 2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

If you've re-installed ktorrent, but you don't want it, then re-purging it again won't hurt.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

"sudo apt-get purge --simulate ktorrent". I assume this command removes ktorrent, however I don't quite I understand what the "--simulate ktorrent" does?
                  How does this differe from "sudo apt-get remove ktorrent --purge". Sorry I googled the previous command and found nothing on -- simulate.

I noticed when I originally purged it, it also removed the program icon from the kicker menu. However with your command the icon is still there.

Thank you.
                  Last edited by Wallace; Oct 24, 2012, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I feel a bit lost. Is KTorrent completely removed from your computer now, or are you still wanting to try to get it to work?

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. Since I was having nothing but trouble with it I wanted to remove it without any consequences to the overall system. I know that sometimes removing a program can cause problems as it can remove many dependencies. I just wanted it off my system. So thats why originally I ran "sudo apt-get remove ktorrent --purge".

However what confused me is when Snowhog posted "sudo apt-get purge --simulate ktorrent". So I originally ran this line and it showed nothing to remove. So I re-installed ktorrent "sudo apt-get install ktorrent" and then ran "sudo apt-get purge --simulate ktorrent". Not sure what this does?

Which command should I use to remove ktorrent from my system?

a) "sudo apt-get remove ktorrent --purge". or,
                      b) "sudo apt-get purge --simulate ktorrent"

Thank you.

Comment

I think the confusion arose from the order in which the various posts occurred.

The --simulate switch means to output the results of an apt-get run without actually doing anything. It's a very useful thing to use when you're diagnosing package problems.

remove package-name --purge is the older form of purging a package; purge package-name now gets the job done with less typing. The following command will kiss all of KTorrent g'bye:
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get purge ktorrent ktorrent-data libktorrent-l10n plasma-widget-ktorrent
                        You may not have that last one; doesn't matter, the command will still run.

Comment

Thank you! I understand.

Comment

Working...
                          X