This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu memory footprint Vs other distros

I was wondering about the "weight" of Kubuntu vs other distros. The reason I am asking is that my previous install was Mepis 11 32 bit and it was much snappier.

My kubuntu 12.04 install is a 64 bit one and it runs much slower. When I run Luckybackup for example, any other task will run in slow motion. If I copy large files to my external hard drive, opening Dolphin is a chore.

My machine is a Toshiba Satellite L650 with an Intel core i3 2.13Ghz processor and 2G of Ram.

Is Kubuntu "heavier" on resources? Will 12.10 be any lighter?

Michel

1- do you have a swap partition?
    2- you may want to disable some of Kwin's effects ,,,, I know the blur effect is problematic for some GPU's

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I do have a swap. I should probably reduce the desktop effects.

Michel

Comment

you can also go to system settings>start up and shut down click the service manager tab and in the bottom pain uncheck services you don’t need running ,,, like I have update notifiers turned off as I manualy check for them once a week or so with the terminal and "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

I moved from Mepis to Kubuntu about a year ago, and the heavier footprint was apparent to me, too. I suspect that it's Warren's skill at rolling kernels that's he biggest factor.

Comment

Originally posted by irvcobb View Post
            I moved from Mepis to Kubuntu about a year ago, and the heavier footprint was apparent to me, too. I suspect that it's Warren's skill at rolling kernels that's he biggest factor.
            Why did you move to Kubuntu?

Michel

Comment

It is both the really old KDE 4.5 and the old kernel, as well. Plus Akonadi's footprint, which didn't come into play until after Mepis' KDE version. For me, my slowdown on my old-ish dual core Dell D630 was more drive i/o more than ram.

Comment

I switched because I needed wireless drivers for a Canon MX860 color printer. Canon suplies them, but only for *buntu.

Comment

Originally posted by irvcobb View Post
                  I switched because I needed wireless drivers for a Canon MX860 color printer. Canon suplies them, but only for *buntu.
                  That's fair.

Comment

I noticed a small performance difference when I moved from Mepis 11 (updated to KDE 4.6.5) to 12.04.1, but a majority of it was related to Nepomuk Semantic Desktop/File Indexer being enabled. Once disabled Kubuntu was just as snappy (if not faster) than M11 (especially with Precise's updates to KDE 4.9.2). I do not use desktop search very often (if at all), so I did not need this service taxing my CPU.

To turn off:
                    - Open System Settings.
                    - Under Workspace Appearance and Behavior select "Desktop Search".
                    - Uncheck everything under the "Basic Settings" tab.
                    - Click Apply.

Side note, I chose to install Kubuntu 12.04 on my laptop (vs. M11 w/ updated KDE or M12 alphas) because Kubuntu allows me to stay current with the latest KDE (which is huge IMHO).
                    Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                    tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

I turned it off. I goggled Nepomuk it's a weird application. If my understanding is correct it basically brings together information from the computer and teh web as it relates to PEOPLE?

Thanks,

Michel

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
                        I noticed a small performance difference when I moved from Mepis 11 (updated to KDE 4.6.5) to 12.04.1, but a majority of it was related to Nepomuk Semantic Desktop/File Indexer being enabled. Once disabled Kubuntu was just as snappy (if not faster) than M11 (especially with Precise's updates to KDE 4.9.2). I do not use desktop search very often (if at all), so I did not need this service taxing my CPU.

To turn off:
                        - Open System Settings.
                        - Under Workspace Appearance and Behavior select "Desktop Search".
                        - Uncheck everything under the "Basic Settings" tab.
                        - Click Apply.

Side note, I chose to install Kubuntu 12.04 on my laptop (vs. M11 w/ updated KDE or M12 alphas) because Kubuntu allows me to stay current with the latest KDE (which is huge IMHO).
                        side side note: if Nepomuk Semantic Desktop/File Indexer is to heavy for you (as it is for a lot) But you still would like a good Desktop search program check out Recoll , it dose 1 indexing as apposed to Nepomuk Semantic Desktop/File Indexer running at every boot and every so often and is very quick and efficient.
                        the first time you start it cancel indexing and go to it's settings to tell it just what you would like it to index for search then restart indexing , after it dose this 1 indexing it wont again until you tell it to

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Sounds like a good alternative if I could understand what desktop indexing and search was all about. Is it a social media thing like some smartphone aplet that brings up everything related to your contacts or just a simple document and file search?

Michel

Comment

See recoll.
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              See recoll.
                              OK so its text search. Is this also what Nepomuck does?

Michel

Edit: Installed Recoll. I see you can have more control over the CPU intensive indexing thing. Thanks
                              Last edited by michel; Oct 14, 2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X